Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 memory configuration

awj63

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I just purchased a new Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 motherboard and 2 sets of 2x2gb pc1600 A-DATA ram. The Ram is on the QVL. The board is running an AMD 955 cpu. I can not get the 2 sets of ram to run together on the board. When both sets are installed it will not boot and I get one long beep. When one set of the ram is installed in slot 1 and slot 3 the board boots fine. If just one stick of the ram is installed in slot 1 the board will boot fine. If all 4 modules are installed the board will not boot. I have tried both sets in slot 1 and 3 and each set will boot individually, but not when all 4 are installed. The board will not boot if one set of the ram is in slot 1 and 2. Am I missing something here? The sets check out individually but won't run together. Here is what the manual says:
This motherboard provides four DDR3 memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. Enabling
Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth.
The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following: Channel 0: DDR3_1, DDR3_3 Channel 1: DDR3_2, DDR3_4

Dual Channel Memory Configurations Table
says slot 1 and 2 and slot 3 and 4

Any help would be appreciated. I emailed Gigabyte 2 days ago and haven't had a response yet.
Allen

gearjammer59

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
When checking the specs at gigabyte for that board it states that the memory supported is "Support for DDR3 1866(OC)(Note 2)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules" I dont see 1600 support.

awj63

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
The system speed is automatically set at 1333. According to the memory QVL sheet, the board will run RAM rated up to 2200, but with support of only one bank at higher speeds and downgraded to 1866. The 1600 ram should run at 1333 without any conditions on supported banks according to the QVL. I played around with the memory settings in the BIOS and the board will boot with all four modules installed if the bank interleave is disabled and unganged mode is selected. Even then system only reports 4GB of RAM, even though the timings settings recognizes that all four slots are populated. This is really aggrevating. I ordered the RAM straight off the QVL list for two dual channels running 8gb. A-DATA 2x2gb AX3U1600GB2G9-AG. The QVL list is located at: http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/MemorySupport/mb_memory_ga-770ta-ud3.pdf
Any suggestions? What am I missing here?

psyop1

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

I had the same problem and narrowed it down to, I thought, 1 stick of RAM in the second set of 2. I sent them back to newegg as an RMA; we'll see what happens when they new set shows up. If it happens again, the problem will clearly be the mobo, as everything else works fine without the second set of original ram in it.