Sign in with
Your question

Components ran hot. Bought new case, and components still run hot...

Last response: in Components
November 22, 2009 3:28:16 PM

I've had a cooler master Elite 330 for about a year. Ever since I had it most of my components were running some what hot. My CPU was usually 45C ideal. GPU was in the 70's. 85 max under load. But recently my GPU has been reaching up to 106C when playing games like Dragon Age and CoD MW. I have no idea why it's running so hot.
So I decided to just buy a better case. To get better temps I bought a NZXT Tempest. And now all of temps are pretty much exactly the same as before. CPU is still in the 40-50's. GPU still reaches 106C under load. And my HDD's still get into the low 40's. The reason I got a new case was because I thought my CM 330 had bad airflow. But since everything is pretty much the same as before, I have no idea what to do.

My main specs are
a Sapphire 4850
Intel e7200 (not overclocked) with a Freezer 7 Pro
Gigabyte p45 motherboard
3 western digital HDD's

Here is a picture of my NZXT case now. I'm new to building PC's so my cable management skills aren't the best. There are 2 intake fans in the front, and 1 on the side. 2 exhaust on the top, and 1 in the back.
http://i48.tinypic.com/281y3kl.jpg

Should I just return the case or what? I don't know what I'm supposed to do to lower these temps.
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2009 3:33:15 PM

what speed are the fans running at and wich direction is your freezer pro blowing
November 22, 2009 3:50:50 PM

I have the 2 intake fans in the front, and the 2 exhaust on the top on a fan controller setup to around 60% fan speed. And when the 4850 reaches up to 106C thats already when I have the fan speed set to 85%. I usually set it to 40% when Im not playing anything.

I have the cpu fan blowing to the exhaust fan in the back.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2009 4:03:39 PM

do tenps drop when you take off the side panel?
November 22, 2009 4:17:29 PM

Nope, stays about the same.
November 23, 2009 1:00:45 AM

Anyone else have any ideas?
November 23, 2009 2:08:19 PM

Have you tried different monitoring software? I'd be suspicious of that one considering what it reckons the 12V line is at...
November 23, 2009 11:57:05 PM

Well I cleaned the inside of my 4850 today. The thing was covered in dust. After I applied new thermal paste I noticed an instant drop in temps. Right now I'm getting about 48C.

Question is, should I bother keeping this case now? I just feel like I spent $100 on a case that just adds more lights then from what I had before.
November 24, 2009 11:37:59 AM

newguy11 said:
Well I cleaned the inside of my 4850 today. The thing was covered in dust. After I applied new thermal paste I noticed an instant drop in temps. Right now I'm getting about 48C.

Question is, should I bother keeping this case now? I just feel like I spent $100 on a case that just adds more lights then from what I had before.

Only you and your bank account can answer that question. If you need teh moniez then return the case. If you don't, then keep it.
!