Sign in with
Your question

Quiet fan that pushes air

Last response: in Overclocking
November 9, 2011 1:03:58 PM

I know this may spark a debate but as I go to reviews about fans I keep getting pointed in the direction of the Scythe gentle typhoon 1850rpm. I have looked for it but no one seems to have it. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks.

More about : quiet fan pushes air

a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 1:59:41 PM

i don't know about typhoons but in my personal xpereance CM sickflow is a great fan tooo.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 2:45:14 PM

ingeborgdot said:
I know this may spark a debate but as I go to reviews about fans I keep getting pointed in the direction of the Scythe gentle typhoon 1850rpm. I have looked for it but no one seems to have it. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks.

Not a lot of people have it nowadays because newegg doesn't sell them anymore. They're recommend because they don't have high cfm like in the 100s but they have really good static pressure and little dead spots. I don't have it but I recommend it cause it looks good. I choose high cfm fans over the typhoon but once I put it in front of a grill it whines like crazy. I think that typhoon fans don't have as much troubles. I should've gotten it. :p 
November 9, 2011 3:16:57 PM

I prefer noctua... about the gentle typhoon... they produce 58 cubic feet per minute at 28 decibels (highest setting) while the NF-P12 1300 from noctua does 54 CFM at 19.8 decibels. remember decibels are logarithmic so 8 decibels different is HUGE... you might not like the fleshy color of the noctuas that's a big complaint I hear... and they are a bit expensive, but I switched to them long ago and have checked out several different brand since and none have convinced me to make the switch.

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:26:27 PM

slhpss said:
I prefer noctua... I think people are misled about the gentle typhoon... they produce 58 cubic feet per minute at 28 decibels (highest setting) while the NF-P12 1300 from noctua does 54 CFM at 19.8 decibels. remember decibels are logarithmic so 8 decibels different is HUGE... you might not like the fleshy color of the noctuas that's a big complaint I hear... and they are a bit expensive, but I switched to them long ago and have checked out several different brand since and none have convinced me to make the switch.

EDIT: btw... I think the confusion around the gentle typhoon lies in the use of the metric system... they list their airflow in CMH not CFM... they move 98 cubic meters / hour of air which if you break it down is actually 58 cubic feet / minute

CFM doesn't make a huge difference up to a point. Higher doesn't always mean cooler. 40cfm can give similar results as 100cfm. You just need ENOUGH airflow. If you can get rid of hot air fast enough, you don't need to speed it out of the case. CFM shouldn't mater much. Static pressure and dbm is most important. Typhoon as really good static pressure. Having bad static pressure can result in more noise.
November 9, 2011 3:32:38 PM

the nocuta's also have great static pressure.. i guess the point I want to stress more is the equal air flow at a much lower cost to your ears...

also I edited my first post cause I misread yours
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:34:50 PM

SilenX
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:43:03 PM

slhpss said:
the nocuta's also have great static pressure.. i guess the point I want to stress more is the equal air flow at a much lower cost to your ears...

also I edited my first post cause I misread yours

I don't know much about those noctuas. But I know those typhoons are too expensive. I never pay for fans over $15 each.
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 4:04:06 PM

I have a NF-P12 1300 fan and it is very quiet. Not silent, but very quiet(silent at lower speeds). The only scythe fan I have had was the Scythe Kaze Slim(120mm 1200 rpms) and that thing was also very quiet(at 12mm thick, i did not expect too much, but it was still able to cool my i7 920).

So far the best noise/airflow I had was the Noctua one, but I have looked at the GentleTyphoon as well. May well get one of those one day to see how they are.

Now if i can find a way to quiet my WDC 2TB black. Loudest thing in my case.
November 9, 2011 4:24:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about those noctuas. But I know those typhoons are too expensive. I never pay for fans over $15 each.

that is my one gripe about noctua... their fans run you 20-25 bucks for 120s
November 9, 2011 5:23:27 PM

slcmike said:
Well....you get what you pay for. They make quality products hence prices to match.

If you want top of the line...nothing better imo.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data...

that links to a heat sink... which fans are those? I like the color... looks clean and the specs are very nice, but the ones on the site under system fan seem to be plain black, and slightly different in shape

nvm... they're the TY-140s... 140s with 120 holes... nice also they're only 13 bucks

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=92448

November 10, 2011 2:27:30 PM

Sry, my bad meant to link the fans section not the hsf. Looks like you had no problem fidning them though, and yes they are especially pimp because of the 140 mounting holes that will fit a 120 space.
!