320gb primary & secondary WD 1tb hard drives??

sherlock28

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I am looking to replace my current elderly computer and I have seen at least 1 unit that offers a 320GB primary and a secondary Caviar Western Digital 1TB for its hard drives. What does having a primary and secondary hard drive mean as far as functionality for me as a user? Benefits versus drawbacks?? Thanks!!!!

the primary drive would be for the OS and other programs. And 320 GB is a nice size for this.

The secondary drive would be for data files, photos, music, videos, etc. - 1 TB is a good size to start out with. Later if you need it, you can install an additional 1 TB drive. I prefer the 1 TB drives over 1.5 TB or 2 TB.

sherlock28

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for the info I have received so far!!! OK, The 320 GB drive is for the OS etc. and the 1 TB WD Hard drive is for everything else, I get that now. So here is my "stupid" question do they run simultaneously with the computer selecting which drive to use or do you have to switch back and forth depending on what you are trying to do?

The computer will start with the OS on the 329 GB drive. So will all the programs like word processing, games, and so on. You don't need to select the drive, the computer will do that for you.

As far as the 1 TB drive is concerned, when you 'Save' or 'Download' a file, it will ask you where you want to save it. This means that you must select the drive (the 1 TB drive), the folder, and sub-folder, that you want the files to be saved. On the 1 TB drive, you can create separate folders for 1) Word files, 2) music files, 3) video files, etc. - and within these folders you may want to create sub-folders. Like 1) Word files for work, 2) Word files for school, 3) Word files for home, etc.

Once you start using the 1 TB drive, everything will be more clear.