Sign in with
Your question

DVD-Audio over HDMI

Last response: in Components
November 22, 2009 6:05:01 PM

I'm trying to play a DVD-Audio disc (Latin Jazz Trio from AIX Records) over HDMI but I'm having trouble finding software that can do this. I've tried playing an AOB file with PowerDVD 9 Ultra by using the "Play Media File" option. The file appears to be playing but I can't get any audio from the HDMI port on my graphics card. The audio on the DVD-Audio disc is 24-bit 96KHz. I can get audio from Blu-Ray and DVD-Video discs just fine. I'm using an ATI Radeon 4770 graphics card with version 9.11 of ATI's Catalyst driver. I'm running 32-bit Windows Vista with Service Pack 2. Does anyone know how to get a DVD-Audio disc to play over HDMI on a Windows PC without any loss of audio quality?

More about : dvd audio hdmi

November 23, 2009 3:46:17 AM

BUMP! Anyone? This shouldn't be that hard. DVD-Audio discs are the most popular and most common way to get high resolution audio.
m
l
November 23, 2009 6:49:29 AM

My knowledge in this is not much, but I have some questions:

what is your sound card? your speakers/headset setup?
what type of audio you get from blue-ray & DVD (multi channel or stereo)?

I'm asking because as far as I know, Radeon 4000 series cards doesn't support audio pass through...

m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2009 11:41:50 AM

4000 series radeons pass audio.

The only thing I can think of is the PC deciding since it's audio only you wouldn't want it sent through HDMI (probably thinking of it as a connection to TV rather than AV)
m
l
November 24, 2009 5:50:27 AM

Stupido said:
My knowledge in this is not much, but I have some questions:

what is your sound card? your speakers/headset setup?
what type of audio you get from blue-ray & DVD (multi channel or stereo)?

I'm asking because as far as I know, Radeon 4000 series cards doesn't support audio pass through...

mi1ez said:
4000 series radeons pass audio.

The only thing I can think of is the PC deciding since it's audio only you wouldn't want it sent through HDMI (probably thinking of it as a connection to TV rather than AV)

The ATI Radeon 4770 does fully support audio pass through over HDMI. So does the ATI Radeon 4650 (a DVI to HDMI adapter may be required for both graphics cards like in my case). Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM up to 24-bit 176.4KHz can be sent over HDMI. I can play regular music CD's and MP3's over HDMI on my ATI Radeon 4770 graphics card just fine. The problem seems to be with PowerDVD 9 Ultra. Do either of you know of any software that can play high resolution DVD-Audio discs over HDMI?
m
l
December 15, 2009 2:06:21 AM

BUMP too! i just bought a dvd-audio of The Who's penultimate rock opera "Tommy" and can't listen to anything but the fricking Dolby Digital track! My rig is: X-Fi Xtrememusic --- [SPDIF] ----> GTX 260 Core 216 --- [HDMI] ---- > Onkyo SR607 --- [Cu] ----> 5.1 Speakers. I know SPDIF can not carry the full [5 x 96kHz/24bit] track by itself, but there MUST ... MUST ... ABSOLUTELY MUST be a software way to route the LPCM signal through the HDMI cable without touching my sound card. NO DECODING IS NECESSARY! just copy and paste the encrypted audio to the HDMI buffer and let my receiver handle the friggin DRM!!!!!
m
l
December 15, 2009 2:08:54 AM

just an idea: linux may be the answer ... there has to be a way to access the HDMI buffer on a graphics card directly. then all we need to do is ctrl-c ctrl-v the audio packets ... right?
m
l
December 15, 2009 3:08:20 AM

There was a piece of software (AOB Editor?) which would rip the DVD Audio to 6-channel WAV files, and several pieces of playback software could play those back losslessly over HDMI audio. I had it on one of my machines, but I don't know if I have it anymore.
m
l
!