Sign in with
Your question

Nervous about thermal paste hyper 212+

Last response: in Overclocking
November 9, 2011 3:53:55 PM

Building a PC for the first time and the one thing that really makes me nervous is thermal paste. The whole "put less than to much, but more than a little" is killing me.

I saw how people either choose to put the paste on the cpu and flatten it with a credit card or put it on the heatsink and let it go naturally.

On the 212+, i would like to put the paste on the 3 grey strips and let it go naturally when i clamp it on the cpu. I figure 3 strips roughly half the length of the cpu would do.

Any tips or suggestions? Would this method be okay?
November 9, 2011 4:55:06 PM

The layer should be as thin as possible but it should also be a solid colour. Say it's AS5, the layer should be a solid grey, and as smooth as possible. I find that a credit card makes it too thin, plus it ruins the card.

I usually put a tiny drop on then rub it with a finger, then slowly add more, until the whole chip is covered. Then I clean off the edges, as AS5 is conductive and I don't want it touching the motherboard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 5:36:26 PM

See the link below but yes only a tiny pea size amount is required. You really want the thinnest possible film as TIM is only intended to fill the LOW SPOTS between the HSF and CPU heat spreader. Metal-to-metal is best. Most people use WAY too much TIM.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 9, 2011 6:27:56 PM

You apply a 'pea size' amount to the Cpu, don't smear, spread or otherwise change it. Install.
I've seen videos of spreading TIM on am install. Stoopid!
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 6:50:12 PM

k1114 said:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Best guide showing different footprints of the different methods and what is best for the 212+; the 2 line method.

^+1 installed many 212+ with the described 2 line method.
Works like a charm.
The supplied paste is very good btw.
m
l
!