Newbie: The Sims Won't Run

Last response: in Video Games
August 11, 2005 1:22:26 AM

I've never used The Sims before.

I just got a used copy of The Sims MegaDeluxe through Amazon and
I've installed it.

When I insert disc 1 into the drive, I choose 1024 x 768. After
a couple of splash screens, I get what looks like a long
introduction showing a house being built and lived in. After
the house is done and a couple are shown kissing on a deck, a
screen comes up and tells me that certain things are being
processed (like "Adjusting Emotional Weights"). After this -
boom- the program shuts down completely. I understand from a
friend that I'm supposed to see some kind of a neighborhood
where my machine shuts down, but nothing of that kind (or any
kind) appears.

I'm thinking it may be defective. The used box was kinda beat
up.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 with WinXP/SP2, 1024 MB
RAM, and a Radeon X300 Series video card. The hard drive has a
150 GB capacity, of which only 45 GB is in use.

Can someone help me with this? I've got some computer skills
(programmer), but if I'm doing something wrong I'd love to know
what it is. Should I go and get my money back?

TIA

Neill

--
Wayfarer
Journeys: http://www.journeys.ws/

Live light, dream true, burn bright...

More about : newbie sims run

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:45:21 AM

"Wayfarer" <wfping2004-miscNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> I've never used The Sims before.
>
> I just got a used copy of The Sims MegaDeluxe through Amazon and
> I've installed it.
>
> When I insert disc 1 into the drive, I choose 1024 x 768. After
> a couple of splash screens, I get what looks like a long
> introduction showing a house being built and lived in. After
> the house is done and a couple are shown kissing on a deck, a
> screen comes up and tells me that certain things are being
> processed (like "Adjusting Emotional Weights"). After this -
> boom- the program shuts down completely. I understand from a
> friend that I'm supposed to see some kind of a neighborhood
> where my machine shuts down, but nothing of that kind (or any
> kind) appears.
>
> I'm thinking it may be defective. The used box was kinda beat
> up.
>
> My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 with WinXP/SP2, 1024 MB
> RAM, and a Radeon X300 Series video card. The hard drive has a
> 150 GB capacity, of which only 45 GB is in use.
>
> Can someone help me with this? I've got some computer skills
> (programmer), but if I'm doing something wrong I'd love to know
> what it is. Should I go and get my money back?
>
> TIA
>
> Neill
>
> --
> Wayfarer
> Journeys: http://www.journeys.ws/
>
> Live light, dream true, burn bright...

From the EA Technical Support page.
1.. End background tasks. This will help to prevent conflicts with other
programs running in the background as well as free up resources for the
game, making it easier for your computer to run.
2.. Try using the -w and -nosound shortcut switches. This will allow you
to troubleshoot and bypass conflicts with the video and/or sound card
drivers.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:55:13 AM

Thus spake Davybear:

> "Wayfarer" <wfping2004-miscNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I've never used The Sims before.
> >
> > I just got a used copy of The Sims MegaDeluxe through Amazon and
> > I've installed it.
> >
> > When I insert disc 1 into the drive, I choose 1024 x 768. After
> > a couple of splash screens, I get what looks like a long
> > introduction showing a house being built and lived in. After
> > the house is done and a couple are shown kissing on a deck, a
> > screen comes up and tells me that certain things are being
> > processed (like "Adjusting Emotional Weights"). After this -
> > boom- the program shuts down completely. I understand from a
> > friend that I'm supposed to see some kind of a neighborhood
> > where my machine shuts down, but nothing of that kind (or any
> > kind) appears.
> >
> > I'm thinking it may be defective. The used box was kinda beat
> > up.
> >
> > My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 with WinXP/SP2, 1024 MB
> > RAM, and a Radeon X300 Series video card. The hard drive has a
> > 150 GB capacity, of which only 45 GB is in use.
> >
> > Can someone help me with this? I've got some computer skills
> > (programmer), but if I'm doing something wrong I'd love to know
> > what it is. Should I go and get my money back?

snip

> From the EA Technical Support page.
> 1.. End background tasks. This will help to prevent conflicts with other
> programs running in the background as well as free up resources for the
> game, making it easier for your computer to run.
> 2.. Try using the -w and -nosound shortcut switches. This will allow you
> to troubleshoot and bypass conflicts with the video and/or sound card

Thanks Davybear. It seems to be a sound card problem. It'll
run fine with just the -nosound switch. I have a SoundMAX
Integrated Digital Audio. There must be a way to get the sound
running, too. How would I find out how to do that?

Neill

--
Wayfarer
Journeys: http://www.journeys.ws/

Live light, dream true, burn bright...
August 11, 2005 8:29:02 AM

> Thus spake Davybear:
>>
>> "Wayfarer" <wfping2004-miscNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I've never used The Sims before.
>> >
>> > I just got a used copy of The Sims MegaDeluxe through Amazon and
>> > I've installed it.
>> >
>> > When I insert disc 1 into the drive, I choose 1024 x 768. After
>> > a couple of splash screens, I get what looks like a long
>> > introduction showing a house being built and lived in. After
>> > the house is done and a couple are shown kissing on a deck, a
>> > screen comes up and tells me that certain things are being
>> > processed (like "Adjusting Emotional Weights"). After this -
>> > boom- the program shuts down completely. I understand from a
>> > friend that I'm supposed to see some kind of a neighborhood
>> > where my machine shuts down, but nothing of that kind (or any
>> > kind) appears.
>> >
>> > I'm thinking it may be defective. The used box was kinda beat
>> > up.
>> >
>> > My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 with WinXP/SP2, 1024 MB
>> > RAM, and a Radeon X300 Series video card. The hard drive has a
>> > 150 GB capacity, of which only 45 GB is in use.
>> >
>> > Can someone help me with this? I've got some computer skills
>> > (programmer), but if I'm doing something wrong I'd love to know
>> > what it is. Should I go and get my money back?
>

> snip
>

>> From the EA Technical Support page.
>> 1.. End background tasks. This will help to prevent conflicts with
>> other
>> programs running in the background as well as free up resources for the
>> game, making it easier for your computer to run.
>> 2.. Try using the -w and -nosound shortcut switches. This will allow
>> you
>> to troubleshoot and bypass conflicts with the video and/or sound card
>
> Thanks Davybear. It seems to be a sound card problem. It'll
> run fine with just the -nosound switch. I have a SoundMAX
> Integrated Digital Audio. There must be a way to get the sound
> running, too. How would I find out how to do that?
>
> Neill
>

> --
> Wayfarer
> Journeys: http://www.journeys.ws/
>
> Live light, dream true, burn bright...

Try updating you sound card drivers.
http://forms.analog.com/Form_Pages/soundMAX/soundMAXtec...
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:13:11 PM

I checked...I have the latest driver (4/9/04) for my sound card.
Unfortunately I can't afford a new one right now, so I suppose
I'm doomed to play The Sims without sound until I can get one!
Bummer! But at least I *can* play now. That's a sight better
than where I was yesterday! :-)

Thanks for all your help.

--

!