Can the computer's time-clock speed be adjusted?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 17, 2004 7:34:02 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 running Windows XP Pro.

I've noticed that the computer's clock falls behind by about one or
two minutes per day.

Is there any way to adjust the "speed" of the clock (to have it run a
little faster so I don't have to reset the time every couple of days)?

By the way, I always use the computer on the AC adapter, *without* the
batteries in place. Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?
If yes, is it fairly easy to change?

(Please do *NOT* advise me to have the computer automatically set its
clock by linking to an internet site. I'm already aware of that idea.
I want to solve the problem directly).

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 17, 2004 8:05:41 PM

wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?
> If yes, is it fairly easy to change?

Yes and Yes.

Turn the unit over, remove the primary battery and the CMOS battery resides
under the plastic cover held by one screw in the battery compartment.

Regards,

James

May 17, 2004 8:19:52 PM

wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com (wylbur37) wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> By the way, I always use the computer on the AC adapter, *without* the
> batteries in place. Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?

It's most likely a CMOS battery problem. This is easy to check by
putting the laptop on AC for 24 hours and see if the problem persists.
If not, change your CMOS battery. Maybe the CMOS battery can be found in
the vicinity of the battery compartiment. I don't know for sure, though.

--
CeeBee

EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2004 6:26:56 AM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message news:<pp5qc.135327$G_.100416@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?
> > If yes, is it fairly easy to change?
>
> Yes and Yes.
>
> Turn the unit over, remove the primary battery and the CMOS battery resides
> under the plastic cover held by one screw in the battery compartment.

When I take out the existing CMOS battery, will the CMOS forget its settings?
June 10, 2004 8:30:25 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

you could just run a s/w program that will check time and keep it updated
regularly .. xp has one built in ..

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 running Windows XP Pro.
>
> I've noticed that the computer's clock falls behind by about one or
> two minutes per day.
>
> Is there any way to adjust the "speed" of the clock (to have it run a
> little faster so I don't have to reset the time every couple of days)?
>
> By the way, I always use the computer on the AC adapter, *without* the
> batteries in place. Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?
> If yes, is it fairly easy to change?
>
> (Please do *NOT* advise me to have the computer automatically set its
> clock by linking to an internet site. I'm already aware of that idea.
> I want to solve the problem directly).
>
> Thanks for your help.
June 10, 2004 12:46:45 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I had a time sync program under Linux that adjusted the time, as many
programs do, by linking to an internet "time" site. But it also
adjusted the speed of the internal clock in an attempt to minimize the
need for time adjustment.

But, I don't remember any of the details now and I no longer use Linux.

hawk

> "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 running Windows XP Pro.
>>
>>I've noticed that the computer's clock falls behind by about one or
>>two minutes per day.
>>
>>Is there any way to adjust the "speed" of the clock (to have it run a
>>little faster so I don't have to reset the time every couple of days)?
>>
>>By the way, I always use the computer on the AC adapter, *without* the
>>batteries in place. Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?
>>If yes, is it fairly easy to change?
>>
>>(Please do *NOT* advise me to have the computer automatically set its
>>clock by linking to an internet site. I'm already aware of that idea.
>>I want to solve the problem directly).
>>
>>Thanks for your help.

June 10, 2004 12:52:49 PM

"jake" <jake2468@hotmail.com> wrote:

>you could just run a s/w program that will check time and keep it updated
>regularly .. xp has one built in ..

I have always like Atomic Time Sync from AnalogX (Freeware)

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

Hope this helps

Andy
June 10, 2004 8:31:24 PM

"Andy@nospam.co.uk" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"jake" <jake2468@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>you could just run a s/w program that will check time and keep it updated
>>regularly .. xp has one built in ..
>>

>I have always like Atomic Time Sync from AnalogX (Freeware)
>
>http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Andy

Sorry I have just noticed the OP so ignore the above.

Andy
!