Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless Integrity?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 4, 2010 12:21:40 PM

Hi! I have general questions on user experiences. I bought a Belkin wireless router and D-Link USB wireless G adapter on eBay which ran mainly alright, for about a week. After a week, I determined the Belkin router, which ran hot, was flaking out. (It finally got so bad the ethernet ports were getting hosed.) I also found perhaps a connectivity problem with the wireless G adapter, which was a refurb, that caused the link to drop, until you pushed on it with your finger! So, that I was unfortunate with the equipment is a given. I now have a NetGear router on the way and have ordered a brand new Trendnet adapter. But I'm becoming a bit gun-shy over wireless. My questions:

Is wireless a good technology? (All I'm doing is avoiding a wire in a room, where my computer is on a wall without the DSL phone jack, that is, just wanting to network across the same room, my wife's workstation on the wall with the jack and hardwired to the ethernet.) Or, should it reliably come into service when you boot your computer, given the router and adapter are in the same room, come up consistently, or does wireless just flake out sometimes, where you need to struggle with disabling and booting, until it finally comes in? In your opinion, have I simply been struggling with bad equipment (and the hardware is bad)?

I have to believe people run wireless in their homes, in the same darned room, without problems, or people would reject the technology. And I did run, with the setup described, for about a week, though the link took time to establish at boot some days, or I had to reboot to get the link to come in. I guess another way of putting my inquiry: should I concentrate on running hardwired to the ethernet, run a long cable in the room, concealed, and avoid wireless, or was the equipment I was using just bad and better equipment won't be a problem? I would love to have a hardwired connection, but don't like the idea of running a 30-50 foot cable around the baseboards, wondering if this is too long a cable for the ethernet, also.

Any replies are appreciated, who are experienced with wireless, and have a good one! I'm using a Dell Optiplex PC and Windows XP Professional.

More about : wireless integrity

February 4, 2010 2:23:52 PM

Just to add to this, in these forums, I found the answer to ethernet cable length, and up to 300 feet should be alright, and I need less than 30 feet to go hardwire. So, this was a present alternative to wireless. If the new wireless equipment hickups in any real way, day to day, I'm going hardwire. May go hardwire, anyway! Just thought I'd add this, if anybody has the same concerns. I do know this much, for a tower or desktop PC, hardwire connectivity can't be beat.
m
l

Best solution

February 8, 2010 3:58:15 PM

There's no way to really predict how well wireless will work for you without trying it. Some times you need to choose a wireless channel that isn't overused by other people around you or sometimes there's lots of interference from other devices on your wireless spectrum.

Sometimes wireless may work well for a while, then something changes and suddenly your wireless has interference. Wired connections are about guaranteed to work and 30' isn't that far.
Related resources
February 12, 2010 1:37:33 PM

You pretty well summed it up, and thank you for your reply. Trying a new NetGear router, the wireless worked better, but didn't always come into service well on boot. I suspect one thing I may have not done right is trying to use a USB G adapter on a desktop computer, plugged into the BACK of the computer, as the GUI meter showed a signal loss of about 10%-30%, off and on, but, also, the wireless adapter didn't seem to like being on a 5' USB extension cable, just a few feet from the router. I'm thinking the best shot would have been a PCI wireless card with antenna, but I'm done with wireless, anyway, have run a 35' ethernet cable to a wired router and have no problems. One doesn't carry a desktop around the house, in the first place, there aren't the security issues and overhead with a wired connection, so why fool with wireless? Anyway, my experience, as you point out, for reasons of interference or whatever (though an empty channel didn't seem to matter that much), is that wireless can be flaky, at least what I was trying to do, even though the wireless router is in the same room! My conclusion: wired rules, if you can go that way.
m
l
February 12, 2010 1:38:36 PM

Best answer selected by TJ4.
m
l
!