Sign in with
Your question

Advice on Updating Computer

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2009 12:39:01 AM

Hello :hello: 

Here is my Situation:
In October I am off to university, and i obviusly need some sort of computer/laptop in my room.

The problem:

1. My motherboard recently broke, one of the the ram slots has gone funny and mis-behaving.

2. My computer is experiencing a problem where it crashes and reboots whenever i try to play a graphics intensive game. I get this BSOD code http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa469184.aspx BCCode 116. Apperently this is very common.

My system:

Gaming Resolution: 1440x900

- C2D E8400 @ 4GHz
- Super Talent DDR3 1600MHz Ram
- 9800GX2 OC
- Corsair TX650W
- Gigabyte P35 DS3R

Possible Solutions:

Seeing as i game with such a low resolution, i dont need to upgrade my system to Core i7 as that would be overkill. Im quiet happy with my current system it plays all games on very high detail with high fps. Would it be worth it upgrading to an i7 system? Remeber that i am going to University so i wont be gaming that much, more like internet and music. Or should i just stay with my current system?

To fix problem 1. I am going to buy this motherboard: Foxconn BlackOps X48 DDR3 Motherboard £80 ~ $130
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

To fix problem 2. I am going to buy a 1TB Hardrive and install a fresh copy of windows vista x64. Hopefully this will stop silling crashing. Or is there a definate fix to this?

Plus i dont really like working on laptops :) 

Is this a wise move?

Thanks in advance

a b B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2009 1:49:01 AM

At this time, I agree an i7 build or Am3 build isn't worth it at your resolution.

Can you RMA your MOBO or do you have to get a new one? I think you listed your best options, which look to cost you around £120 and you will be good for a while longer.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2009 2:18:36 AM

when you install the new hard drive and reinstall windows + all the drivers the crashing will probably stop

if it doesnt you have a hardware problem
September 1, 2009 11:19:14 AM

Thanks for your reply guys,

I cant RMA my motherboard as it has been with me for a lil over a year now.
And hopefully that annying driver crash will be fixed.
What would you say the benefits are of playing at higher resolutions?
If i buy a new 24" monitor. Apart from the obvious loss in fps?
Thanks
!