Western Digital vs Seagate

GTech_77

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Just trying to get advice on a future 1TB external Harddrive. So what should it be a Western Digital or Seagate. Any thoughts my Tom's Hardware Peeps?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

You can't go wrong with either one. Both are great HDD's, and you will get recommendations for both, depending on personal choice.

I like WD not only for their performance, but they have good customer service and you can talk to the tech support anytime.
Given those choices, most folks probably pick their poison depending on the best price or sale at the time.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
According to this academic paper all gentlemen who buy Western Digital hard drives are big girl's blouses. It's scientific fact; there is no proof, but it's scientific fact.

It's really down to personal preference and history really. I've used Seagate for years and not have a single drive fail. A month ago I bought a WD20EARS only to have it fail within a week. In truth they are just as likely to fail than one and other so buy whatever you fancy.

Like john_VanKirk stated, either will do nicely.

GTech_77

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Thanks Tom's Peeps! I had a 500GB Seagate that recently failed on me and a 250GB WD thats still going strong, so I guess I'll take all your advice and go on my own personal history. Thanks again.

GTech_77

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Also I wonder if shopping for a TB drive on Amazon.com is a good Idea. I know people who have shopped for PC equipment with no problem and gotten great deals. Any thoughts Tom's Peeps?