Sign in with
Your question

Empire: Total War - Pentium 4 / 7200GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2009 3:49:06 AM

Hi,

My little brother wants to play Empire Total War (his just finished Rome Total War) Is it worth getting it, will it work on the following set up?

CPU: Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT 2MB Cache
RAM: 2GB DDR2 800Mhz (running @ 533Mhz)
GPU: 7200GT.

Rome Total War works perfect on this rig max settings, even CoD4 works awesome on medium getting 50FPS+...
September 21, 2009 4:11:03 AM

You can get the demo for free off steam or other places.

That'll tell you if it runs, and if it's worth getting.
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2009 4:16:57 AM

Like most RTS games even if it looks really good it is still a very CPU based game.

Still I think it should run well, though you might have to adjust the settings. Still I would download the demo like mad said to make sure.
Related resources
September 21, 2009 5:27:03 AM

I don't think it would be that playable...
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2009 12:16:18 PM

I doubt the game will run well; you might want to give Midevil2: Total War a shot though; it runs on a modified R:TW engine, so it should run about the same as R:TW did.
September 21, 2009 3:51:14 PM

I needed to make serious graphical compromises to run MII:TW on an Athlon X2 4600+ and a Geforce 7950GT.
September 22, 2009 10:03:47 AM

maddoxman said:
You can get the demo for free off steam or other places.

That'll tell you if it runs, and if it's worth getting.

O, cool I'll give that a try, didn't know that.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2009 1:46:10 PM

I actually don't know that it will run that well on that pc. I've got an Athlon 5200+ x2 and 2 gb ddr2, as well as a 9600gt, and I want that game as well, but I ran the demo, and it ran ok I guess, but seemed painfully slow to load on my pc.
September 22, 2009 9:43:29 PM

^^ Yup, it worked find, loaded fine, just the graphics where horrible, and the lag was unbarable.

So that looks like a no no to the 7200GT. Might get a 8600GTS DDR3 for the system and be over with.
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2009 10:18:09 PM

Well nice to see another user that use a p4 still :cheese: 

Anyways yeah. You need these specs.

Operating System: Windows XP 32(service pack 2), Windows Vista 32 OS.
Processor: 2.4 GHz Single Core Intel or AMD equivalent processor.
System Memory: 1GB RAM (XP) 2GB RAM (Vista).
Graphics Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (shader 2.0 or higher).
Sound Card: Directx9.0c compatible sound card.
Windows compatible mouse & keyboard.
15 GB free uncompressed hard drive space.
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 22, 2009 10:47:09 PM

P4s (Prescotts and Ceder mill) are ok but don't have very much performance and even with my PD 805 at 3.35ghz it lags a bit but is ok for RTS games like AOE3 and Rise of nations gold. The 7200 is the worst part of that rig so any thing like a 9500gt or better like a 4650 will do wonders for that box. PS while you are installing the new card clean out the dust and replace the thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5 (just a pea sized blob in the middle of the cap on the cpu) then all should be good for a year or two. :sleep: 
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2009 11:19:32 PM

Empire will require a lot of upgrades to that computer to run decently. I'd suggest going Medieval II + Kingdoms, then get a bunch of mods like stainless steel or whatever is your fancy. MII will still require some graphics upgrades, but empire would pretty much require a new computer.
September 23, 2009 3:08:07 AM

EXT64 said:
Empire will require a lot of upgrades to that computer to run decently. I'd suggest going Medieval II + Kingdoms, then get a bunch of mods like stainless steel or whatever is your fancy. MII will still require some graphics upgrades, but empire would pretty much require a new computer.

I don't think so, it had no problem "loading" infact it was pretty swift. It just the graphics detail was horrible. I checked my CPU reading after I quit the game, and it was only useing 74% of the CPU at most during the game play. So CPU wise, its O.K. Just the GPU.
September 23, 2009 3:14:47 AM

warmon6 said:
Well nice to see another user that use a p4 still :cheese: 

;)  I love Pentium's, I don't know why people hate them so much, you just have to have the right one I guess. Like, with HT, 2MB cache, and 65nm tech that keeps it nice and cool.

Currently I'm useing a Pentium to be here, the computer is just as fast for normal browsing/downloading/light gaming.

As I said before, when I was playing on the 8800GT and the P4 that I own, I was getting 80FPS+ on maxed out settings for CoD4. (1024x1024 I think.) It's not a bad gaming chip if the game is more GPU dependent, then CPU. Like UT3 played supurb, Far Cry 2 etc etc.

The only games that I refused to play on a Pentium was GTA IV, as I knew it would be an epic failure. And Crysis, and that's just becuase I hate the game overall, and wouldn't want to play it.

Pentium D's are pretty good, you just need to own one with the 65nm tech, so it runs way cooler. I was playing GTA IV with the 8800GT getting 35fps+ on medium-high. :) 
!