"Veteran Components" build

brasser

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Hi all,

Recently, my old Dell XPS 600 smoked it's motherboard (again) so I took the opportunity to build a brand new Core i7 gaming rig. Instead of sending the Dell to the landfill, I was hoping to put the old components to work for a buddy who is short on cash, but wants a gaming rig. I'm hoping I can cobble something together... :whistle:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: next few weeks BUDGET RANGE: US$200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing, office applications

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, see parts list below

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: inexpensive

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 x 1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The Dell case is proprietary along with the motherboard, so a new case/mb/psu will be needed.

Here is the component list that was salvaged from the Dell:

CPU: Intel Pentium D Smithfield for desktops
RAM: 4x512MB 533MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 7800 (I have 2 of these from the old sli config)
OPTICAL: old IDE DVD

I'm considering the following:

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite Case w/ 350W Power Supply

MB: ASUS P5KPL

HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM

This budgets out to about $150.

Any suggestions/comments/critique is appreciated. Thanks,

-b

Solution

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
If I remember right, the Pentium D's tend to draw a lot of power. With 2 GeForce 7800s as well, you might need to go with a PSU that's a bit larger than the one bundled with the Elite case

Solution

brasser

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Thanks! Your recommended case/psu upgrade makes sense to me, is in the budget, and will be better for future upgrades.

The board I have chosen will work with the E5xxx series as well, so I can always upgrade if this experiment fails. That said, I'd like to try the Pentium D (because I have it, and it costs nothing to try).

I need some advice on understanding the CPU compatibility. I have an early version of the Pentium D Smithfied 830.

Here is the information on the Pentium D 830 from Intel.

Here are the specs on the motherboard according to Asus.

Other than the Asus specs saying it supports Pentium D, I'm not sure what to look for to assure compatibility. Apologies if this is a newbie question... :??:

-b