Sign in with
Your question

Pricing mistake or outright scam?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2009 4:15:53 AM

I was looking over prices for a GTX 285 and came across a site eCost selling 285's for only $48.99

This is the link if you want to check it out :

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=51328356&source=EW...

I'm thinking outright scam (send you a defective card with serial number scratched out/ blackened so you can't RMA it to manufacturer) or a pricing mistake.

For $50 I'm willing to try however, it is way to good to be true which throws up 5000 warning flags in my head.

What does everyone else think? They are out of stock (which makes sense once people saw the price), however, if it was a mistake do you think they will cancel everyone's orders?
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2009 4:22:47 AM

They are "out of stock" .
m
l
September 21, 2009 4:26:42 AM

Exactly...

Now is that so they can jack the price up to $400 and charge everyone the difference (can they even do that with paypal)

Or is it because a lot of people before me saw this and jumped on it hoping it was real.

I just looked at their customer satisfaction and it was like a 3.5 out of 10 lifetime so that doesn't look promising.

This was really just something odd I saw and wanted to share... I do not suggest putting an order through b/c I say 95% scam 5% pricing error
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2009 4:49:13 AM

As jitpublisher correctly pointed out the item is out of stock. You can't buy it. I checked prices in half a dozen pc categories and dozens of items. The prices looked okay. Probably just an error on their part.

Current low price in the USA is $269.99 at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9230049&t...
m
l
September 21, 2009 5:45:06 AM

hmm I looked at all their other 285 prices and your right, just looks like a mistake on their part. Now does that mean the people who ordered when it was in stock get a $270 video card for $50?
m
l
September 21, 2009 5:56:59 AM

Ok, I decided to part with $60 and try my luck... I'm all the way to checkout and it looks like its working. Most likely they will realize the mistake and refund us but you never know I guess... at least its not $400... that would be a waste :-(
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2009 9:13:35 AM

I suspect that it is going to be out of stock at that price for a looong time.
m
l
September 21, 2009 1:08:08 PM

^^ very true... I got a confirmation number and everything so it went through but the parts are backordered (duh). Let you guys know what happens in a month :-P

m
l
!