Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a good computer?

Last response: in CPUs
November 22, 2009 11:14:30 PM

http://www.officemax.com/technology/computers/shop-all-...

I'm thinking about getting this computer, and I was wondering if its good enough to at least run games like The Sims 3 or spore, or at least counter strike source.

I know it has a really good processor speed (2.7 GHz)and its really quiet. The problem is, its an integrated graphics card.

More about : good computer

November 23, 2009 7:19:38 AM

Most probably you'll be able to add new graphics card so it can turn into nice medium level gaming machine able to play more than sims or counter strike
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 12:06:10 PM

The HP machine you have picked out is fine, but it will be quite weak on graphics power. It has a free PCIe slot, so you can add a lower-end gaming dedicated GPU if you want. You will be limited by PSU on the graphic card you buy, but even a lower end card will be good step up from the onboard graphics, and should make the unit a decent low-midrange gamer.
November 23, 2009 12:20:12 PM

- What is it with these retarded companies like Compaq, it has 3GB of RAM so you don't get dual-channel.

- It also has an nForce chipset, which is no where near as good as a 700-series AMD chipset.

- Chipset is only AM2 and not AM2+ or AM3.

- Only PCI-E 1.0 and not 2.0/2.1.

- The onboard graphics is not very good at all, adding a cheap dedicated GPU would be much better.

- Only has a 250W PSU.

Basically if you can go for something like 'Upendra09' said, since even the cheaper one has better graphics, better RAM, better CPU, better PSU, better audio, Better LAN, better chipset, better DVD+/-RW and well you get the message.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 2:05:08 PM

No it is a horrible machine and everything inside is pretty poor in quality.

That compaq can only be recommended for a new business with people who use Excel, outlook, perhaps simply accounting and Internet exploder.

The CPU is fair but that is about it.

Yes it can run CS:S with the condition that you put in another 70$ to add a videocard like a Radeon4650 but this will put stress on the 250W Power Supply.

I was selling for 150$ one of my old PC's I ended up giving it to a good friend for free... and it would kill that compaq as my pc had balance.
AthlonX2 3800 (slower) 4x512MB DDR400 dual channel, Nvidia 8500GT 512MB. Point of how poor the compaq is... My donation has a 400W PSU.
(That ran Bioshock, CS:S, L4D very well at 800X600 to 1024X768)

Also being a Compaq, the Windows installation will be FILLED with garbage that will additionally slow down the machine.

I strongly recommend the links posted by the first reply.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 6:56:18 PM

windows exploder?

was that a typo or an insult?

i use chrome which is flawless but i just wanted to know if u hated IE as well as i do
a c 83 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2009 7:29:04 PM

I am going to say there are lies in the listing of that machine as that processor with those specs just doesn't exist. It says its an Athlon II X2 215 @ 2.7Ghz with 1mb L2 cache, problem with that is that all Athlon II X2 processors have 2mb L2 cache and shouldn't be compatible with that old nforce AM2 motherboard.
November 24, 2009 4:35:44 PM

loneninja said:
I am going to say there are lies in the listing of that machine as that processor with those specs just doesn't exist. It says its an Athlon II X2 215 @ 2.7Ghz with 1mb L2 cache, problem with that is that all Athlon II X2 processors have 2mb L2 cache and shouldn't be compatible with that old nforce AM2 motherboard.

I also did think something was wrong when it said "4000MHz FSB", technically it should be "4000MT/s HT" although loads of places make that mistake, but the problem is that AM2 doesn't do 4000MT/s, the CPU can if put in a AM2+ board but not in that crappy motherboard.

It should still be compatible with the motherboards (subject to BIOS), but not well optimised.

And actually the X2 235 is 2.7GHz, so that would make the X2 215 (if it exists) 2.3GHz.
!