GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamvoodoo

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hi guys. This is my first post at TomsHardware and I would really appreciate some help.
So I just bought a new motherboard, case, memory, and CPU cooler, and I put it all together (this is my first major PC upgrade I've done by myself. I've done little things like PSU change before with no problems, but nothing like this).
So after a couple hours, I got everything connected, and I have a few problems.
1) When I turn it on, all the fans go on, a few green lights on the mobo go on, but the CPU fan won't spin (but as soon as I turn off the power it spins for about a second then stops).
2) Nothing comes up on the display
3) The disc drive won't open or respond.
I do not get any beeps when starting up or anything other than the fans spinning (the GPU fan spins too) and some lights coming up.
Thanks in advance! I really hope you guys can help me :(

bilbat

Splendid
Time for a 'strip-down':

Mind you, there are two ways to do this: you can do it either in or out of the case. The advantages and drawbacks:in the case is easier and faster, but will not find case-related problems, like shorts from extra, mispositioned standoffs, or ground plane problems; out of the case takes longer, and you may run into 'reach' problems - power supply cables and front panel power switch headers may not be long enough; for the power supply, it's usually just a matter of removing four screws to temorarily relocate it; for the power switch, you can just do this (carefully):
power2.jpg

You only need to short the pins momentarily - that's all the power switch does...Out of the case also affords you an easy opportunity to 'flip' the board to check your heatsink/fan attachment setup, to be sure all the pins are fully seated, locked, and not cracked... If you do the out of the case, you need to lay the board on a non-conductive surface: the box the MOBO came in is ideal; but - the foam pad it came with, and the bag it was in are not - being 'antistat', they are somewhat conductive, and may induce problems...

Another item worth mention at this point is case speakers: if you haven't got one - get one!
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
A lot of people operate under the misaprehension that the 'diagnostic beeps' should come through the speakers attached to their sound-card/chip - not so! Your three hundred dollar Altec-Lansings won't do you any good here - you have to have a case speaker attached to the front panel header, and, often by this point, it's the only diagnostic info you'll have to go on...

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked)
one stick of RAM, in slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power, graphics card power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch (or shorting the 'power' pins...)
If you get video, enter BIOS with <DEL> (may need a <TAB> to get to POST screen, if 'splash' screen is enabled)
Select and execute "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit, reboot
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition...

aaetre

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Please don't leave it there!!! What was the problem? I have exactly the same issue.

bilbat

Splendid
These are working settings, from a working overclock for someone - adjust for your processor and memory:

GA-EP43T-UD3L E4500 to 2.93 GHz
Intel E4500 800FSB x11.0mult 3GHz .85-1.5V Core M0 sSpec SLA95 CPUID 06FDh
G.Skill F3-12800CL?? ?GB (? x ?GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 memory: 7-7-7-24 nominal ?.?v
(Intel P43 chipset only supports DDR3-1066/800 = DDR3-8500 max; you likely bought memory made for a P55/X58 chipset...)

If you haven't yet done it, pull out all but one stick, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "11"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to ".0"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

******** Clock Chip Control ********
>>>>> Standard Clock Control

"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "267"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

******** DRAM Performance Control ********
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)" to "Disabled"
"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "266"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "4.0 A"

"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"
You should be able to leave the rest of the memory settings alone; we haven't changed its actual speed, so it should keep working...

"Load-Line Calibration" to "Disabled" (this works differently on different boards - on mine, it's worse "enabled" than "disabled" - the function is supposed to cure a phenomenon called Vdroop - the CPU voltage regulation circuit causes the CPU core voltage to sag, or 'droop' under high loadings; hopefully, we're going to be at a low enough voltage to just ignore this...)
"CPU Vcore" to "1.3500V"

And that should do it!

G

Hi all i don't know if this is the same issue but it looks like it, bought the gigabyte board, installed all the hardware & proceeded to load win 7 64 & everything was well but after a couple of hours the machine started freezing up, now i tested a/p normal removed everything except for the cpu & 1 stick of ram & when u start the machine it boots for a second then reboots almost immediatly, i tried various stick of ram different power supplies, even removing the graphics card with the same resolt except for the addition of the annoying scream because there is no display device present. I have always rooted for gigabyte but after this board i think i might have to call it a day & revert back to asus seeing as it's the second 1 with issues so if anyone has any ideas wtf is causing it to mental i would really appreciate the help so to recap machine was loaded with win7 64 worked for a while froze twice & thats it fubar power on & it lights up( cpu fan not spinning but the rest of the fans do) & reboots repeating untill u yank the power cord :fou:

Hi all i don't know if this is the same issue but it looks like it, bought the gigabyte board, installed all the hardware & proceeded to load win 7 64 & everything was well but after a couple of hours the machine started freezing up, now i tested a/p normal removed everything except for the cpu & 1 stick of ram & when u start the machine it boots for a second then reboots almost immediatly, i tried various stick of ram different power supplies, even removing the graphics card with the same resolt except for the addition of the annoying scream because there is no display device present. I have always rooted for gigabyte but after this board i think i might have to call it a day & revert back to asus seeing as it's the second 1 with issues so if anyone has any ideas wtf is causing it to mental i would really appreciate the help so to recap machine was loaded with win7 64 worked for a while froze twice & thats it fubar power on & it lights up( cpu fan not spinning but the rest of the fans do) & reboots repeating untill u yank the power cord :fou:

Start a new post ~ unless the ASUS solved the issue.

bilbat

Splendid
Few questions to start:

How much, and what kind of memory are you using?

Have you done the (obligatory) "Load Optimized Defaults" since start-up?

What USB devices have you plugged in?

even removing the graphics card with the same resolt except for the addition of the annoying scream because there is no display device present
Not clear about this - are you talking about the 'no video' BIOS beeps, or ??? You have a case speaker? What does it do during your attempts to boot with the vidcard in?

G

No USB devices plugged in 4gig kingston 1333 ram & ive actually given up on this board it must be faulty only components connected mobo, e7500 chip,1333 kingston ram,8800gt graphics & of course the psu when trying to boot u dont even get a beep because it fails to boot to fast but tries to come on again almost immediatly this process will go on forever if you dont pull out the main power from the supply as nothing else stops it now what i meant with the screebcard was that if u take it out & the pc does boot even if there is no graphics card it will still come on with a high pitch continued beep, but it doesnt even do that , it just repeats the same process beeps for a second & reboot in a loop, last night i used different harware completely my own pc's corsair ram, corsair psu & a eah5850 graphics card same result now i have no choice but to come to the conclusion than what i have here at this stage is a very flat paperweight luckly for me a returnable paperweight... soz if im making a crap load of spelling mistakes i'm not english but! still if anyone knows of a reason for this failure i'd still like to know personaly i think bios failure both of them unlikely but not impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.