I can see the contents of my external hardrive mac?

cristalicious

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello, i have a seagate harddrive and i went to plug it in to my mac for the first time and time machine came up which ive never used before and then i clicked a few buttons to get rid of it and all i could see was erasing...so i cancelled and unplugged it but i cant see any files watsoever on my mac>>>please help what has happened to all my files on the external hardrive its smaller than my mac hardrive by the way?

I suspect that your external HDD was used on a microsoft OS machine before and was formatted in a format not support in apple OS. When you use time machine, it probably asked you to format the drive to one supported by apple OS and without giving much thought about it, you clicked yes.

cristalicious

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011

Hi yes indeed i had only used it in my windows laptop previously but when I got a new apple laptop I didnt realise you cant just plug it in to the apple. Lesson learnt. i had to take it to a place to get the software recovered off the external hardrive & they said they would be able to do it for me. Can I still use my external harddrive again after the data is recovered though?