Discussion Thread: Watercooling/Closed Loop Coolers

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Watercooling/Liquid Cooling System - Pros/Cons/General Discussion

Alright- This is what we've been looking for on several different threads here in the watercooling forum: A watercooling/closed loop cooler pros/cons discussion thread. Depending on content and discussions, this thread might be included in the watercooling sticky.

This can be used for Q/A and discussion surrounding what is better, debates over concepts and designs or simply to provide a structured battleground for proving your point. However- there will be some rules to follow in this thread in addition to the usual forum rules of Tom's forums.

The rules are as follows:

1) I will be the primary moderator on a day-to-day basis. I will remain as unbiased as ultimately possible, but those of you who know me, you know my loyalties lie with full-blown watercooling. This being said, I also know there are infinite reasons a cooling solution may or may not be what a user actually needs. Just because I agree or disagree, doesn't mean it's due to my preference of watercooling. This should also be the stance of everyone who participates- be open-minded and know enough to know when you are wrong.

2) If you have an issue with another forum member's post, send me a PM with the information. Don't expect me to simply remove or edit a member's post because you don't agree with their response. I will not, however, put up with any slander, negativity, personal attacks, rude remarks or overall bad sportsmanship. I will make thread edits if I see this kind of activity, but if you are reporting activity from another user, be prepared to also support your stance on why it should be reported and edits/removals made.

3) If you offer information for debate, fully expect to offer links to data in order to support the claim being made by forum members wishing to debate your claims. I understand that we all are biased in some degree towards what we support, but if you are going out of your way to rock the boat- you better have the ammo to back it up. There is nothing sweeter in debate to offer up information, have someone question your stance, and then slap a link or two in a thread reply that gives irrefutable support for your statements.

4) Play nice. I expect this to get into some heated debates and everyone needs to remain level-headed and professional. I will try and toss a bone once in a while if the discussions get stale, so look for some random topics from time to time. Remember that this is a world-wide forum and expect users from all over the globe to read the information being posted. This also means that spelling, grammar and hardware availability will differ from place to place. Just be cognizant of everyone reading and posting.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
First item up for bid:
###################################################

1. Would you recommend a water/liquid solution to a friend?

2. Does this change whether the person is knowledgeable with computer hardware and/or watercooling or not?

3. What solutions would fit your recommendations, if any?

PS- Please follow the discussion thread rules.

Yes I would recommend water to a friend/poster on here, IF thats the appropriate cooling solution to their situation.

No, I like my advice to be unbiased if possible, if learning is required to maintain/install stuff I'll point them that way as well.

I prefer real water to 'Fisher-Price' all in ones, but if thats the best option I will recommend one, under advisement ofc :)
My turn with the popcorn hehe
Moto

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

1. Yes, I would recommend water cooling if the person was capable of following simple instructions.
2. No, as long as he can follow simple instructions I would still recommend.
3. MCP35X pump, Swiftech 360 Drive Rad, XSPC Raystorm waterblock, Primochill 7/16 tubing on 1/2 barbs. Around $250.

Depends - I know several people who are skeptical of the benefits/price and are bit more practical with their money and would put it towards aesthetics. However, I do believe in full disclosure of pros and cons.

2. Does this change whether the person is knowledgeable with computer hardware and/or watercooling or not?
Too some degree, this depends on the person. A lot of people I know that are knowledgeable with computer hardware find an interest in looking up stuff about it (i.e. benches, tests, reviews), and would most likely be interested in learning more about WC solutions.

On the other side of the spectrum, some of the people I know who aren't knowledgeable about computer-related stuff prefer to stay that way. I've honestly had people say to me that they don't care how it works as long as it does.

It's really a case-by-case thing, but as long as they're willing to learn, I'm willing to help them learn.

Depending on the goals, I'd generally recommend something around the H100/Rasa RS240 as a base. For more enthusiast-oriented users, that would expand (obviously).

Seems a little biased towards the custom WC side with all of us on here. I'm interested in what our "devil's advocates" in the WC section have to offer on the subject :)

Yes, but the friends level of expertise, patience, and desires would inform my recommendation. How much do they really want and how hard are they willing to work for it? It's not about risks if parts are properly researched and procedures followed... but if the person doesn't have the patience for that they had better stay away.

Certainly, but ignorance in itself should not bar a person from achieving something they are sure they want.

Custom designed and separately ordered parts list.

This is for people with time, money, and a wish for excellent cooling of both CPU and GPU(s). Usually such people also want something that is aesthetically pleasing for them, but not always. Sometimes people with money and a desire want such a system, even though they are unlikely to build such themselves. There are shops that will do the job and guarantee their work, but at a premium.

Unassembled kits
These are usually relatively inexpensive and lack features and/or expandability. If someone wants to watercool but has a limited budget these are sometimes a good choice.

Pre-assembled kits or kits requiring very little assembly

People with an adequate budget that don't want to manage a complicated water loop can be quite happy with one of these. An example is the Swiftech H20-320 EDGE, just two hoses to worry about. Obviously there is still some planning needed for radiator placement.

Self-contained water coolers
Examples are the Antec KUHLER H2O 920 (REVIEW) and the Corsair H100 (REVIEW)
These rarely leak, provide performance as good or better than most air coolers, are easy to install, and do not put the stress on the motherboard that a very large air cooler will. Anyone building their own computer can consider these. They are no more dangerous than the assembly process itself.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Next up-
Universal GPU blocks vs. full-cover blocks.

Considerations:

Do you value flow/temp performance over cost? What is 1-3C worth to you?

Aesthetic value?

Do you have brand loyalty?

Although I have FC blocks on my 6950s now, I am planning on moving to universals soon (anybody want to buy a pair of 6950 2GBs?). I realize that I upgrade more often than I originally thought, and universals could help me save money on blocks while making it easier to sell off cards (not everybody wants cards with blocks, and some care about warranty, etc.)

Id probably try a universal RAM sink at least once, but will probably stick to those copper heatsink thingys.

As far as brands go, I'm attached to EK (CPU and 2 GPU blocks from them), and will probably continue with them. I like their design and they work exceptionally well. They are sometimes a bit pricey though.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
One thing I like about Swiftech is they have those universal blocks and the separate plates to use in conjunction depending on card model. However, I don't think they make a lot of model versions, which is a shame.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to by those full RAM sink/plates/whatever-they-call-them. I don't know if EK makes any though. The universals are also good if you buy a non-reference GPU, since sometimes you can pick those up for cheaper than the reference versions.

fah_q

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Maybe some temp comparisons at overclock speeds? I've been wanting to go water cooled but every comparison I see, my current air cool setup is getting better temps. At 4.8ghz in prime blend test I average well under 64c. Plus when not in games or under full load my idle temps are much much better it seems @ mid 20c's. Water cooling seems you will always have a higher idle temp no? I'm seeing a lot of people benching their water cool setups at significantly less ghz and getting the same if not higher temps. It seems to be efficient with water cooling you have to go extreme with it.

Discuss? :)

note: Please don't think I'm bashing, I love the idea of water cooling I just want to see a truly efficient setup that doesn't break the bank maybe?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What watercooling loops are you talking about? There are a lot of guys on here that have a full-on CPU and SLI/Crossfire loop that never break 55-60C under constant load.

It all depends on your configuration, but it is very, very doable to have a 10-12 degree delta-T. Some folks even shoot for 5C delta, but you gotta pay to play in that league.

fah_q

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
That's what I mean though... what is a REAL setup? Hell go on youtube and look at the hundreds of videos of these guys showing off water cool setups with terrible temps. That's what put me off, I want to do it, but I'm not going to waste my time when my Air cool setup is working better than 85% of the WC setups out there lol. (random number I made up haha)

fah_q

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Ok lets put it this way... with my current setup in my rig I want to go up to about 5ghz and stay under 50c... any ideas?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Questions on TDP, calculating delta-T or other loop build technical considerations-

1) Do we need to address/evaluate information in the sticky or on the forum pertaining to these concepts?

2) Generalizing radiator size vs. potential heat dissipated for sizes other than those listed on Skinnee's charts- turning physics into simple math for the sake of sanity. How do you guys do it?

3) What is missing from the sticky that would help close gaps when it comes to answering questions on 'how do I figure out what I need to get'?

I don't have any good answers to your questions btw :) Well, I suppose we could come up with a kind of guess as to how much you need for just a CPU, CPU + 1 GPU, etc. The engineering math I would rather not tackle.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'll admit- there isn't an easy way to try and make the physics of radiator performance as easy as I try to make it sound. There are easily several things I fudge and estimate as I try to evaluate rad sizes to a more round 1:1 comparison, but even then, it's next to impossible. It's even harder to evaluate 120 rads vs 140 rads...there are tube sizes to contend with, additional tubes per side, fin density or placement might be different and once you get that far, there are the metals used in manufacturing, thickness of metals, thickness and type of paint used...I could go on and on. I'd love to have a way to test rads in the manner I wish I could test them...but for now, I rely on Skinnee and a few others (like everyone else) to help make good guesstimates. I will say, that once you know how to make these kinds of estimations and what rads to look at for a specific thermal capacity of a loop, you are doing yourself a huge favor in the long run.

fah_q

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
LOL! I wish! I would throw a nice littler turbo charger on the end of the mainboard HAHAHAH!

but I'm thinking maybe a small 3 row aluminum radiator, run some push-lock fittings with 200psi rated hose, and 6 120mm fans in push format. If I'm going to go WC then it's gotta be ridiculous. I want 5ghz and sub- 50c temps!