2nd Failed 4870x2

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Same problem cropping up as last time I RMA'd my 4870x2: Won't crossfire, second GPU dead to the world. I am not looking for any suggestions on diagnosing the problem, as it is the exact same failure I experienced a couple months ago, and am not afraid to send it back in. (Neither card OCed, in a very well ventilated case, room temp rarely above 24c.)

My second card was not the same as my first one, as I left a small identifying scratch on the PCB that wasn't on the one I got back, so they don't repair the cards (or at least not the one I sent in)

My question is, since it is XFX and has lifetime on the card, should I suck it up, use my 4870 512 for 3-6 months, and then try RMA when the stock of 4870x2 should be depleted? I guess I am hoping someone has some sort of experience trying to return a failed, out of production videocard to XFX to see how they handle it. I am confident they will honor the warranty one way or another, just looking for some experience with such a situation.

Yes, I am considering downgrading for an extended period of time in hopes of getting a 5870 out of the deal, hah. I can't afford one till after christmas anyway, and free is always better than not free. ;) Of course at this rate (and my luck), if I were to send it in now, and get another 4870x2 i return, they would be seeing it again in a few months, anyhow.

Thanks for your responses in advance!

As long as you registered the card you should be able to RMA w/o any issues...

I had a similar issue with a 4870x2 and all I had to do is call, submit RMA and 2 weeks later they sent me the exact same card in the mail....If they do not have the card in stock then they will send you a GPU of equal or greater value. I doubt they are out of 4870x2's .......

If you hold on to the card for a couple of months you might get lucky...... Who knows, them might send you a 5850 or better......

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Yes, the card is registered, and the RMA process was pretty painless the first time around, though it took almost 3 weeks, probably because I am in Canada.

That is what I am hoping for, hah. I think I will hold onto the card for a few months and trundle along with my 4870 512. Nothing I play right now is hard on that card with the AA/AF turned down or off. The worst case scenario is I get a 4870x2 that is brand new, with a second lifetime warranty to sell it with to fund a 5870 in January.