Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is AMD doomed?

Last response: in CPUs
November 23, 2009 12:31:41 AM

Who will speak for AMD, their fans? who?
look at what AMD has become, a struggling captive- -

those guys who speak for AMD does not bother any thing but keep say: oh! easy to upgrade, oh! good performance 4 the price.
yeah, thats right, Intel has nothing to fight AMD below $200.
yeah, thats right, Intel has whole bunch of sockets on the market.

now let me ask you, lot of people is still bragging that i3 is not yet there. but it will come soon. and i debt that the cheapest i3 will be at around $100 with unbeatable performance. and then, the 775 will soon gone out of the market. those E and Q series are just some old chips holding it's position, the new one will soon come and beat the crap out of AMD. just like ATI and NV, now ATI is bragging but the 300-series will surely get back the high end market just like those times that ATI has nothing to face GTX285 and GTX295.

lot of people think that i3 is going to be expensive, but how expensive can it be? more than $200? $300? and don't forget, that is an i3, not i8. it will surely have a big performance improvement just like i7 out of the Q series.

as for the next gen of amd, i'am quite sure that there won't be a very big improvement, not big enough to fight i7. and the next gen of next gen is too far away(maybe AMD had already gone bankrupt then).

as for the plantform, get the best AMD cpu now and it can not even beat i5. what can you get even if you make the max use of your plantform? also, i think that intel will quite a bit keeping use these plantforms here after i7, i5, and i3, maybe wxyz series or whatever. so you can get your upgrade. if you are buying a plantform now, absoloutly go for a 1156 or 1366, i don't think am3, am2 will continou support the next gen AMD cpus somehow. and the current AMD cpus are already dead meat...

so, what i basicly wanna say is that after i3 came out, AMD will loose all it's advantage, if you have any disagreement, you are welcome to state your opinion. :D 

More about : amd doomed

a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 12:40:24 AM

AMD doomed? Hardly.

Sure Intel has come back on then since the Athlon vs Pentium 4 days and I'm a big fan of Intel CPU's but AMD has plenty of markets (GPU's, workstations, servers, low end desktops) to ensure a solid future.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 23, 2009 12:42:00 AM

All I can say is we would be beating a dead horse who had come back to life then died again.
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2009 12:49:42 AM

Can't you see? It's a cycle
One day Intel goes yay and the other AMD goes yay
m
l
November 23, 2009 1:13:32 AM

I don't think Intel will let AMD die, because if AMD dies, then they'll be broken apart by the government :o 
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 23, 2009 1:23:16 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Jaguar-Fastest-Sup...
Desktops are only a very small part of AMD and intels books, the big money is in servers, super computers, and workstations where the opterons and xeons come into play. The jaguar has over 37K CPU's in it, and the opterons cost significantly more than any normal desktop CPU, now thats a lot of money. To judge a companies fate based off of about 20% of their earning potential is stupid, even if Intel had the absolute best desktop processors and had 90% of the desktop market share, if AMD still had a good sever market share they would do perfectly fine.

And chrischoi is right, its a cycle, they are constantly battling for top place, and best at price points. There arent many looking for a $200 processor, but there are lots of people in the market for desktops with $100 processors and that market AMD has pretty well covered.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 1:25:44 AM

This thread seems familiar...

Where's Uprenda09?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 1:40:48 AM

randomizer said:

Where's Uprenda09?

No doubt he's somewhere nearby...

But hey, aren't we all doomed anyway?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 5:56:08 PM

randomizer said:

Where's Uprenda09?

According to the APB put out on him, he was observed shuffling over to the funeral parlor to mourn the death of THIS thread :D .
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 23, 2009 6:03:38 PM

I was going to reply to this thread in a serious fashion, but then I realized there was no point. Randomizer, just close this before it gets ugly.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 23, 2009 7:38:02 PM

AMD is doing the best its done in over 2 years right now, I hardly doubt they'll be doomed just because I3 launched. I honestly couldn't care less that I5/I7 are better than Phenom since I've never in my life spent over $150 on a processor.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
November 23, 2009 8:01:29 PM

Crap. Someone drive a wooden stake through the heart of this thread. Quick.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 8:17:31 PM

<Offers up a Hammer for the mods to use>
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 8:18:01 PM

CLOSED
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 8:26:00 PM

i3 is going to be ~$150 cpu, uses the same 1156 socket as i5 yet only has 2 cores and no turbo mode.

AMD have a lot of things to be worried about, this however isn't one of them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 10:08:57 PM

FIRST OF ALL THIS THREAD CANNOT LIVE, THIS WAS MY THREAD TITLE AND CAN'T BE REUSED, I AM CALLING A PATENT INFRINGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

randomizer said:

Where's Uprenda09?

right here

fazers_on_stun said:
According to the APB put out on him, he was observed shuffling over to the funeral parlor to mourn the death of THIS thread :D .

first part, ???? what are the APB? second part yeah funny

lastly, just close this thread before we go mad going over previously discussed topics

PS i like how people associate me with this thread title :D 
m
l

Best solution

November 23, 2009 10:14:19 PM

i can assure you all the i3 will not beat amd's 955 and 965... simply because theres no need, if that would happen who would buy a i5? they can only do battle with price in that segment... if intel manages to have a cheap manufacturing process for it, and starts selling it at competitive prices amd might be in trouble... but then again a lot of people are watching intel steps atm... so they cant be Too competitive lol... plus amd "got" a big bonus recently... even dough it probably should have been bigger...
in the graphics department, amd is doing very well atm... and if the 300 series happens to be worth its wild, amd will just cut prices until it doesnt, as it has done for a few years now... the last big surprise nvidia has has for amd was the GeForce GT 240 and thats not fighting the 5970...
as they say in my country; "if my grandmother had a pair of male gonads, she would be my grandfather" (it sounds better in portuguese) lets see and wait...
November 23, 2009 10:15:49 PM

i mean wait and see... lol
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 10:19:30 PM

CLOSED
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 10:31:51 PM

N19h7M4r3 said:
as they say in my country; "if my grandmother had a pair of male gonads, she would be my grandfather" (it sounds better in portuguese) lets see and wait...

I sure hope so lol.
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 118 À AMD
November 23, 2009 11:00:45 PM

I think VIA is on the verge putting both AMD and Intel into bankruptcy (before December 31st 2009) and will buy their assets on the cheap. What's awesome is that since they are not headquartered in the US, they are not subject to being broken up as a monopoly.

Yep, VIA is the wave of the future...
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 11:17:59 PM

Upendra09 said:
FIRST OF ALL THIS THREAD CANNOT LIVE, THIS WAS MY THREAD TITLE AND CAN'T BE REUSED, I AM CALLING A PATENT INFRINGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first part, ???? what are the APB? second part yeah funny

lastly, just close this thread before we go mad going over previously discussed topics

PS i like how people associate me with this thread title :D 

Actually your thread was entitled How can AMD survive or some such :) 

APB = All Points Bulletin. Sheesh - don't you ever watch the old cop show classics? Adam 12, Dragnet, and of course that gripping real-life dramatization, Car 54 Where R U. :kaola:  Look 'em up on Hulu...

m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2009 11:30:03 PM

Upendra09 said:
first part, ???? what are the APB?

All Points Bulletin.

Cop talk between departments and agencies to look be on the lookout for a suspect.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
November 23, 2009 11:33:02 PM

Scotteq, I'll provide the stack. Please bring your hammer.
m
l
November 24, 2009 12:10:40 AM

:hello: 
Upendra09 said:
CLOSED

this is the first time i've seen someone that is so aggressive. :( 
tell u the truth that i am really afraid of arguing with you, but what i need to say is that i've never read your thread before, i am just a student and i don't have time to stay in the forum for the whole day. i'am even wondering did i registered when you post your forum.
you think this is from your idea, but we are not talking about the samething, what i wanna say is that AMD will probably lose it's market at low end CPUs after i3 came out. and OUR THREAD TITLE IS NOT THE SAME, those people who are familiar with this title may watch too much of this thread

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267469-28-intel-doome...

the title of this thread is "Is Intel doomed" and the reason why i post this thread is that of my disagreement with that one, if read what i wrote carefull enough you can find out mine is just the opposite of the Intel doom thread.

I will NOT close this thread just for people to say what they think "intel doom" or "AMD doom" or none of them doom. BUT NOT to show people that i can start a good thread as good as yours.

so, if you are not happy with it, no need to waist your time and put a lot of unnesesary replies here. go back to have a look at your own or start a new one. :D  no way i'll pay you PATENT INFRINGEMENT!!!! :pt1cable: 
m
l
November 24, 2009 12:38:47 AM

AMD is doomed I tell ya

DOOOOMED!!
m
l
November 24, 2009 12:41:28 AM

And why you ask is AMD DOOOOMED?

Well Ill tellyas

LRB, thats why AMD is DOOOMED!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 12:55:41 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
Actually your thread was entitled How can AMD survive or some such :) 

APB = All Points Bulletin. Sheesh - don't you ever watch the old cop show classics? Adam 12, Dragnet, and of course that gripping real-life dramatization, Car 54 Where R U. :kaola:  Look 'em up on Hulu...

APB got it second my thread used to be called "Is AMD Doomed?" i later changed to have more people post and give intelligent replies shortly after, Random closed........stoned cat!!!!!!

hey JDJ shut up with the LRB already.

anyway to the OP, szbxa, it's ok i just wish u didn't have the same title as i did, but if it gets past 18 pages i will have to sabotage it
m
l
November 24, 2009 1:26:40 AM

Upendra09 said:
APB got it second my thread used to be called "Is AMD Doomed?" i later changed to have more people post and give intelligent replies shortly after, Random closed........stoned cat!!!!!!

hey JDJ shut up with the LRB already.

anyway to the OP, szbxa, it's ok i just wish u didn't have the same title as i did, but if it gets past 18 pages i will have to sabotage it

:p 
if more than 20% people hate it, i'll close it.
by the way, what is LRB mean? never seen it before :heink:  like bad word.... don't laugh, i'm Asian..
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 2:17:19 AM

Earlier this year when AMD's stock was a 1 and change, I thought they were doomed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 2:19:16 AM

LRB = Larrabee = jaydeejohn's toy.
m
l
November 24, 2009 2:36:49 AM

Don't worry, we'll all be dead come 2012 .... :D 
Let's all fly over to South Africa
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 2:55:29 AM

Intel Bankrupt Q1 2011
m
l
November 24, 2009 11:08:37 AM

i wonder what is going to happen with this amd ati fusion...
m
l
November 24, 2009 3:24:59 PM

By the time i3 is out, AMD will probably start selling Phenom 955's at USD 100......who the hell is gonna buy an i3 when they can get double the cores and an unlimited multiplier for less? And dont forget, you get quad PCIe x8's on the AMD 790FX. You only get stinking dual x8's on the p55.....quadded 5870's anyone? 50+ in Crysis at 2560 with 8x AA......
ANd as for NV, the 300 series had better be nothing short of awesome when it comes out just to be competitive. The ATI 5870 is USD 100 cheaper than a GTX 295. Difference in FPS accross the board? 3 FPS. Thats the highest I have seen. Do you really want to pay extra for an outdated card just for the brand? For USD60 more than a 295, you get a 5970. Once the GT300's are out, ATI will probably slash prices by half. 5970 for USD300 anyone?
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 24, 2009 4:19:07 PM

Quote:
i wonder what is going to happen with this amd ati fusion...

Are you seriously asking? Check out this link.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3674

So AMD doubles the Integer clusters, while leaving the floating point power the same. Why? Oh wait they are bringing a video card onto the chip.

Quote:
Doubling the integer resources but not the FP resources works even better when you look at AMD’s whole motivation behind Fusion. Much heavy FP work is expected to be moved to the GPU anyway, there’s little sense in duplicating FP hardware on the Bulldozer core when it will eventually have a fully capable GPU sitting on the same piece of silicon.

Now it makes sense to put a GPU onto the die to me. AMD will implement SMT/Hyper threading, but only for the things CPUs are good at. They then put a GPU on die to handle all the floating point calculations. You then have a video card handle all the output. This will be amazing.
m
l
November 24, 2009 4:54:16 PM

^^ this

But it doesnt matter, LRB is coming......
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 5:08:38 PM

I just really hope Bulldozer is early so we don't have to suffer more of these threads all of next year too. :p 
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 24, 2009 5:12:34 PM

I thought JDJ was firmly kissing AMD @$$. Why is he all hot to trot over LRB? Did I miss something? What thread did this happen in?
m
l
November 24, 2009 5:16:38 PM

Im being sarcastic, never plays well on the internets.
I do mention LRB, and its importance to Intel, with Haswell, as this is/will also be thier solution.
Fascinating times ahead
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 5:17:09 PM

I think it might be a touch of sarcasm but JDJ is a complex individual and I'd never attempt to understand such a paragon of tech enlightenment so forget I suggested that.

edit - oh wait nvm he admitted it a few seconds before. :D 
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 24, 2009 5:21:29 PM

So a bit like Ape and S3? Oh wait, Ape DOES love S3, no sarcasm.

I haven't paid enough attention to the LRB rumors, but from what I've heard it could at some point shake up some people. The biggest issues I have with it is Intel has never really been a GPU player. Not only are their IGPs the weakest around, the driver team is REALLY lacking. Having a fully programmable video card could be interesting, but I'm not convinced Intel is the one to pull it off.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 9:06:20 PM

^ Also on Techreport, there's an article on the P2 965 125W version (new stepping I believe). Down from the 140W the previous version used. I also read elsewhere that AMD has indeed lowered the price of the 965 to ~$200, as was predicted by me and others a few months ago in response to Intel's i5 release :D .
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 9:09:24 PM

Jennyh u don't want Bulldozer to be early cuz then it will have many problems like the phenom

the later the better and then in the end...........AMD WILL RULE THE WORLD, IT WILL USE BULLDOZER TO PLOW THROUGH INTEL HQ AND DESTROY THE BRAINS OF INTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BWUHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

this, my friends is called propaganda filled spam........enjoy
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 9:28:22 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
^ Also on Techreport, there's an article on the P2 965 125W version (new stepping I believe). Down from the 140W the previous version used. I also read elsewhere that AMD has indeed lowered the price of the 965 to ~$200, as was predicted by me and others a few months ago in response to Intel's i5 release :D .

Pretty late response that one when it takes a few months to reduce prices.

More likely is AMD are trying to sell them off in anticipation of Thuban, which is going to be earlier than anticipated. It's a decent chip but not worth the asking price with Thuban as the obvious upgrade path.

The i5 is probably holding its price as it has no upgrade path at all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 9:37:54 PM

^ the i7 860 remember
m
l
!