Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Laptops
  • Enclosure
  • Power Source
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 25, 2011 2:23:41 AM

Do such enclosures exist? And if so, are there any that are usb powered and don't need an external power source? I ask because I'm replacing my laptop harddrive with a larger one and I also have another couple of 2.5" external drives lying around from before and wanted to combine them.

More about : putting laptop drives external enclosure

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
June 25, 2011 3:02:03 AM

Yes, there are multibay enclosure which support multiply 2.5 HDD but they all comes with power adapter. Your usb just can't give enough electricity to run multiple drives.
June 25, 2011 3:24:15 AM

Hmm okay then do any of you guys have suggestions for good one drive 2.5" enclosures?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
June 25, 2011 3:41:36 AM

What interface do you want, usb 2.0, usb 3.0, esata, firewire? Most of my enclosures are vantec nexstar (for usb 2.0 (retired), usb 2.0 and esata combo and usb 3.0).
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
June 25, 2011 4:14:01 AM

That should be goo for what you need. Get it if you can't find cheaper. I found vantec case to be very good.
m
l
June 25, 2011 4:32:08 AM

Best answer selected by Limitless0088.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 102 G Storage
June 25, 2011 4:49:08 AM

Multiple 2.5":
This sounds like a small NAS device meant for RAID1 specifically (data mirroring for reliability). Most are 3.5" but I imagine there's 2.5" ones. I suspect the cost is high and that you should stick with a single USB drive deal.

Single 2.5" USB:
2.5" USB drives do not require power. You can simply buy a 2.5" USB case. You may wish to get one compatible with eSATA but that's not really a big deal and adds to the price.

USB drives are now quite cheap now and a new USB hard drive might not cost much more than a USB case.

Go to this online store: www.ncix.com

Software:
I use Acronis True Image to backup my Windows drive to a USB hard drive. As long as you have an internal or USB hard drive detected the free version from Western Digital will work.
m
l
!