Folders read only, can't fix in DOS, and more!

Hello,

I have a folder that is showing Read-only in Properties. I have tried to change with attrib -r -s in DOS and also via the folder Properties. I can't change permissions when I take ownership of the file.
Simultaneously, I've discovered that if I drag-and-drop a folder, I can no longer access it at all. Message: "[file name]... is not accessible. Access is denied." Can't rename, copy, share, move, or delete.

I've run anti-virus, spyware, and registry scans and fixed all problems reported. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell 5150. Anyone ever seen this before? The web is full of fixes that aren't working...
3 answers Last reply
More about folders read only more
  1. ltrombi said:
    Hello,

I have a folder that is showing Read-only in Properties. I have tried to change with attrib -r -s in DOS and also via the folder Properties. I can't change permissions when I take ownership of the file.
    Simultaneously, I've discovered that if I drag-and-drop a folder, I can no longer access it at all. Message: "[file name]... is not accessible. Access is denied." Can't rename, copy, share, move, or delete.

I've run anti-virus, spyware, and registry scans and fixed all problems reported. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell 5150. Anyone ever seen this before? The web is full of fixes that aren't working...

Try this:
    Add the -D parm to your Attrib command (Processes Folders as well)
    You are processing only files in the folder with -S parameter.
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried it and it still did not change anything. It is definitely linked to the drag and drop in Explorer, which I also discovered that I can't disable!

ksiemb said:
    Try this:
    Add the -D parm to your Attrib command (Processes Folders as well)
    You are processing only files in the folder with -S parameter.
  3. ltrombi said:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried it and it still did not change anything. It is definitely linked to the drag and drop in Explorer, which I also discovered that I can't disable!

Then, IMO, your best bet is to boot with Your XP CD, and repair-install your OS - One of those infections you removed has probably caused your problem, seeing as how you cannot do certain admin tasks.

I would also recommend Turning off and back on, the Restore option to delete all previous restore points so you do not accidently reintroduce those infections.
Ask a new question

Read More

DOS Read Only Windows XP