Sign in with
Your question

Folders read only, can't fix in DOS, and more!

Last response: in Windows XP
February 7, 2012 5:55:25 PM

Hello,

I have a folder that is showing Read-only in Properties. I have tried to change with attrib -r -s in DOS and also via the folder Properties. I can't change permissions when I take ownership of the file.
Simultaneously, I've discovered that if I drag-and-drop a folder, I can no longer access it at all. Message: "[file name]... is not accessible. Access is denied." Can't rename, copy, share, move, or delete.

I've run anti-virus, spyware, and registry scans and fixed all problems reported. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell 5150. Anyone ever seen this before? The web is full of fixes that aren't working...

More about : folders read fix dos

February 7, 2012 7:10:42 PM

ltrombi said:
Hello,

I have a folder that is showing Read-only in Properties. I have tried to change with attrib -r -s in DOS and also via the folder Properties. I can't change permissions when I take ownership of the file.
Simultaneously, I've discovered that if I drag-and-drop a folder, I can no longer access it at all. Message: "[file name]... is not accessible. Access is denied." Can't rename, copy, share, move, or delete.

I've run anti-virus, spyware, and registry scans and fixed all problems reported. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell 5150. Anyone ever seen this before? The web is full of fixes that aren't working...

Try this:
Add the -D parm to your Attrib command (Processes Folders as well)
You are processing only files in the folder with -S parameter.
m
l
February 16, 2012 11:09:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried it and it still did not change anything. It is definitely linked to the drag and drop in Explorer, which I also discovered that I can't disable!

ksiemb said:
Try this:
Add the -D parm to your Attrib command (Processes Folders as well)
You are processing only files in the folder with -S parameter.

m
l
February 17, 2012 4:03:02 AM

ltrombi said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried it and it still did not change anything. It is definitely linked to the drag and drop in Explorer, which I also discovered that I can't disable!

Then, IMO, your best bet is to boot with Your XP CD, and repair-install your OS - One of those infections you removed has probably caused your problem, seeing as how you cannot do certain admin tasks.

I would also recommend Turning off and back on, the Restore option to delete all previous restore points so you do not accidently reintroduce those infections.
m
l
!