Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooler Master
  • Cases
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
November 10, 2011 12:31:02 AM

I plan to get an i5-2500k CPU and overclock it on stock voltages hoping to get 4.2GHz. Soo... my options for cooling are either the XIGMATEK Dark Knight or Cooler Master Hyper 212. I'm leaning more towards the Dark Night because both HSF are pretty much the same and I get a discount on the Dark Night. I have a Cooler Master CAC-T05 case with a width of 202mm. I read somewhere the Dark Night needs a case with 206mm. Can anyone confirm?

More about : dark knight fit case

November 10, 2011 2:08:28 AM

Centora said:
I plan to get an i5-2500k CPU and overclock it on stock voltages hoping to get 4.2GHz. Soo... my options for cooling are either the XIGMATEK Dark Knight or Cooler Master Hyper 212. I'm leaning more towards the Dark Night because both HSF are pretty much the same and I get a discount on the Dark Night. I have a Cooler Master CAC-T05 case with a width of 202mm. I read somewhere the Dark Night needs a case with 206mm. Can anyone confirm?

Okay just got the XIGMATEK Dark Knight due to it being $8.95AR. I know people say you probably won't get the rebate but even if I don't get the rebate I'd of gotten the HSF for $28.95 just $3 more than the intended Hyper 212 cooler I was going to get. Just a gamble I'm willing to take to save $20.

Now on with the Motherboard. Which socket 1155 support the Dark Night and dosen't block the RAM slots (or just blocks channel 1/3)? I just will be using 2 slots using G.Skill Ripsaw 4GB x 2 dual chan.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 11:36:07 AM

G.Shill Ripjaws will fit underneath the Dark Knight cooler, just make sure you install the RAM before you install the cooler.

As for a motherboard, what are your needs? are you going to need SLI/Crossfire abilities? Do you want a full ATX board, or do you want an mATX board? Do you have a manufacturer preference?
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2011 11:54:43 PM

blade061188 said:
G.Shill Ripjaws will fit underneath the Dark Knight cooler, just make sure you install the RAM before you install the cooler.

As for a motherboard, what are your needs? are you going to need SLI/Crossfire abilities? Do you want a full ATX board, or do you want an mATX board? Do you have a manufacturer preference?

Plan to run 1 high-end PCIE @ 16x such as HD6950 etc. SLi/CrossfireX is not even a thought since this is a "budget gaming rig". MicroATX or ATX doesn't matter... whichever is cheaper. Also don't need SSD cache as I'm just going to run HDD until I can land a deal on a quality SSD. Just looking for an excellent quality board with no issues and overclock the i5-2500k to 4.0Ghz with the Dark Night @ stock voltages. 4.1Ghz would be a dream but not putting the cpu 0.005v over-spec.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2011 1:23:07 AM
November 11, 2011 3:07:18 AM

Best answer selected by Centora.
m
l
November 11, 2011 3:30:56 AM

All excellent choices!! Even though I've heard bad things on Gigabyte boards lately the one you listed looks excellent. I however will eliminate the Gigabyte board though as it is mATX and the other two options are ATX boards.

Now with those two Asrock boards they both seem to offer the same features but one is $15 cheaper. I believe the only real difference is the Pro3 Gen3 board offers a pcie3.0 port however pcie3 isn't supported with Sandy Bridge and a pcie3.0 card would probably be out of my price range. On that note however even though it's a 3.0 port it will still work with 2.0 cards.

I'm leaning more towards the Pro3 Gen3 board because it fits the color scheme of my system although it is in a closed case so don't even see the system components. The only thing preventing me from purchase is the Pro3 Gen3 doesn't say it supports the K-Series Sandy Bridge CPU's. Neither Newegg or Asrock's website says it supports overclocking with K series but I would think a newer version of the Gen3 would sport overclocking K-Series.

Also I'm probably being a little cheap right now but would I be able to run one of these Asrock boards using the HD3000 on the CPU (onboard graphics) using a Thermaltake TR2 430 Watt PSU from my old AMD X2 system until I land a good deal on a PSU and High-End video card? Would just run the mobo, 2 HDD's, 1 DVD drive, and 1 audio pci card. Overclocking to 4.0Ghz with this PSU out of the question?

I could just get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

700 Watt Single 16x pcie PSU for $50.99AR + offers a free DL burner. Only problem with that PSU is several claim it dieing around the 2 year mark but they probably are running 2 high end vid cards on it (also have to factor in with THAT deal IF I get the rebate I would be paying $30 for a 700Watt PSU after minusing the cost of the burner). Long post but you seem to know what your talking about and are of high knowledge.
m
l
November 11, 2011 5:22:56 AM

Okay after browsing through reviews, overclockings, etc my best bet would be the Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard. Some have claimed to have issues getting past a 4.2Ghz OC but if I only plan on a 4.0~4.2Ghz overclock all is well. Also has support for the future line of Intel's 22nm CPU's and PCIE 3.0 SLi/CrossfireX in 16x/4x mode or 8x/8x mode (if I read the specs correctly).

Now with the Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard and the XIGMATEK Dark Knight CPU cooler are you 100% positive on clearance with G.Skill Ripsaw memory? If uncertain which memory should I get with equal performance as 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz ripsaw and price?

Last but not least the PSU issue. Can my little 430 Watt PSU make the cut using the integrated GPU in the CPU for a few weeks until I get a steal on a super GPU or should I pick up that 700 Watt PSU I have listed in my previous post?

Hope you or another experienced member of the forum answers soon. Not that I'm impatient just Promo codes/product stock deplete and want to order all parts so it ships and get it Monday (or Tuesday if Vets day slows it a day).
m
l
!