Buying a new hard drive for the first time...

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hello. I am upgrading the weakest link on my computer at the moment, which is my hard drive. The HD I am currently using came with my Inspiron 530s and is only 320gb. I don't know all the exact specs, but I am pretty sure it is basically trash. My question is two fold.

1. I want to fraps some footage of myself playing a game and put it on youtube. I have a good processor and good video card, as well as 4 gigs of good ram. Would upgrading from the crappy HD I am using now to a pretty decent HD improve in game performance while I am recording? I noticed some slowing, and I know Fraps can be demanding, but I am wondering if a bad HD can contribute to something like that.

2. When I get my new HD, should I just abandon the one I am using now since it is so bad? I can't see the benefit to keeping it, I suppose I could put music and such on it, but wouldn't I want things like my OS, games, etc. on the new drive so they will perform better?

Thanks in advance for you answers.

Solution
1) A newer & faster hard drive will help with your FRAPS... How much I can't say for sure... 5%, 10%... I don't know. I would recommend the Samsung Sppinpoint F3 1TB, if your setup supports 1TB or higher drives.

2) I would use it as a storage drive... maybe buy a cheap external SATA enclosure and use the drive as a external device. I don't see much use for keeping it in the system... IMO.

tecmo34

Administrator
1) A newer & faster hard drive will help with your FRAPS... How much I can't say for sure... 5%, 10%... I don't know. I would recommend the Samsung Sppinpoint F3 1TB, if your setup supports 1TB or higher drives.

2) I would use it as a storage drive... maybe buy a cheap external SATA enclosure and use the drive as a external device. I don't see much use for keeping it in the system... IMO.

Solution

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

I am not sure what what is needed to support a 1tb drive, but considering I only recently built my computer I assume it will be able to fine. I looked up the drive you mentioned on Newegg and it does fall within my budget, and it seems to have god reviews. I suppose I can really only think of one more question. Assuming I do not keep my old drive, I will want to move everything from it to my new drive, which for me sounds like a daunting task since I have never done so before. Can anyone recommend a guide or something like that to help me along? Between installing my OS on the new drive and moving everything else over. I feel a bit lost. Any help is appreciated.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
One more question if I may. What exactly are the benefits of upgrading my HDD? Besides more storage space, which I do need, what other benefits are there? I know there are some, but since I am still pretty new to this kind of thing I am not sure what they are.

tecmo34

Administrator

Outside of additional storage, you typically get a faster drive providing a more all around responsive PC.