Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My First Time Water Cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
November 10, 2011 1:04:35 AM

Now I've heard alot about water cooling, how legit it is when overclocking on keeping the temps and noise down. But I have a few questions... I will be using the Corsair H100 if I do go on the water cooling route, and the Corsair 600T reguardless cause I really like that case...

1) Is there a possibility that when using water cooling, the radiator or tubes will leak onto my heardware and damage it?
2) Is it hard to install?
3) Do you have to change the fluid in the H100 or clean anything out after a set time of usage?

Thank you for any comments you all have.

More about : time water cooling

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 1:56:41 AM

To be upfront, we typically don't classify closed loop coolers like the H100 as actual 'real watercooling'. However, they work very much on the same concepts as actual watercooling that they are at least close cousins.

1. Yes, there is always a chance, but typically very low odds. You are more likely to have a pump fail than a LCS cooler like the H100 to leak.

2. No, they are fairly easy to install, and should come with directions. If you aren't sure, look on YouTube for some install videos...I've seen a lot of them. Most of these coolers install very similarly- your biggest concern is where to mount the 2x120 radiator...make sure you have room for it.

3. You shouldn't have to ever touch the coolant inside one of these coolers. If you ever see any leaks, it makes loud noises (again, YouTube some videos for examples) RMA the cooler immediately. You should only have to blow out the radiator on occasion with canned or compressed air to allow good airflow through the rad.

November 10, 2011 2:20:42 AM

Wow thanks alot!! :D 

Yeah I wouldn't dare try to do a DIY Water Cooling system haha I'd mess something up, but thanks for the answers! Now would you recommend the H100 over a fan/heatsink cooler?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 5:53:32 AM

AcidElement said:
Yeah I wouldn't dare try to do a DIY Water Cooling system haha I'd mess something up, but thanks for the answers! Now would you recommend the H100 over a fan/heatsink cooler?

Well, remember that these use fans too; it's just that your heatsink is now a true heat exchanger (fluid with air via the radiator, assisted by fans).

As for performance differences, it depends what you're trying to achieve. At idle/stock, some cheaper (~$30-40) heatsinks like the Hyper 212+/212 Evo will work just as well as a custom WC solution because it's already dissipating all of the heat that the chip is producing.
The real performance differences only truly show once the chip is overclocked, because the chip will produce more heat. The H100 is in my personal opinion the only Corsair cooler worth buying because you get a 2x120mm radiator (which is generally recommended for a CPU-only loop). That said, the good air coolers can still hold their own. I know that the Hyper 212+ is capable of some really strong OCs even on hotter chips (like the i7-930), even though it's quite cheap compared to even "high-end" air coolers.

In short - on a stock chip, you're better off $$-wise with a decent air cooler. When OCed, you need something that can perform well and keep the temps reasonable.
m
l
November 10, 2011 10:28:05 AM

Alright thanks for the advice!
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 10, 2011 12:29:45 PM

Quote:
The H100 is in my personal opinion the only Corsair cooler worth buying because you get a 2x120mm radiator (which is generally recommended for a CPU-only loop).

Also in complete agreement with this statement. I wouldn't attempt to OC an Intel i5 or i7 k series past 4.5ghz on anything but water. It can be done, but given the voltages required to get it there and the heat output at load around 5ghz, it gets ugly.
m
l
November 20, 2011 1:17:43 AM

Best answer selected by AcidElement.
m
l
!