Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 stuttering

Last response: in CPUs
November 23, 2009 2:01:38 AM

My build is CPU: Phenom II 4x 955; Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4; RAM: 4x 2GB G Skill DDR3-1333; HDD: WesternDigital Caviar Black 1TB; GPU: 1x ATI Raedon 5770; OS: OEM Windows 7 Professional x64 bit

I am having trouble with my computer stuttering in Windows 7. I just built the computer from scratch 5 days ago, and until an hour and a half ago it was working just fine. Then while I was playing Dragon Age Origins (had game open about 6 hours straight) the sound and video playback began to stutter, after about 10 minutes of this getting worse windows kicked in and said the CPU Fan wasn't working and recommended I power down, which I did immediately. I then changed out the heat sink from the stock one I had mounted for a Zalman CNPS9500 (with fresh Artic Silver 5 applied after cleaning off the stock thermal grease)

I was running Speed Fan the entire time, with CPU Temps never exceeding 54C (remaining stable between 52-53)
After changing out the heatsink, I powered up the computer and it began to stutter almost immediately getting worse as the computer continued to run, it was stuttering mildly at first while at 33C, and then proceeded to deteriorate after I opened Dragon Age to stress the CPU. I shut down the program before the CPU exceeded 45C (2 mins) while the stuttering continued. with nothing open but speedfan, firefox, and taskmanager (35C) the stuttering continued to get worse until it was unusable, when the screen saver kicked in 5 mins later, it would stutter every second to second and a half, this included video and sound (sound is being run off the motherboard)

Any insight?

More about : windows stuttering

a c 123 à CPUs
November 23, 2009 2:07:18 AM

I would think it could be one of these:

1. Corrupt install, might have to reinstall Windows 7

2. Bad drivers. Try removing your video drivers, boot to safe mode then run driver cleaner to remove all traces. Reinstall fresh then reboot.

3. Bad CPU. Check the CPU voltages to make sure they are at least stock. Too low might create an instable setting.

4. Bad GPU. What are your GPU temps BTW?
November 23, 2009 11:18:24 AM

4: The GPU Temps were consistently hotter than the CPU, but I don't remember them getting above 58C. I honestly don't remember since the GPU Temps weren't displayed on the same screen.

3: Under the CPU Voltage control of the BIOS it says its at 1.3500 V well within the 1.2250-1.4250 the specs say

2: I had considered this, but the sound was stuttering as well, I had run that and other games for a total of 15 hours before the computer started to stutter, with the most recent drivers (first thing I did when I built it was go on a driver hunt) - I'll try to remove and reinstall, but it was running stable for 4 days with the same drivers it's got now.

1: Same concerns as with #2, not quite sure how it would pop up randomly after running stable under the same or more strenuous circumstances.

could I have fried the CPU? the BIOS temp alarm doesn't kick in until 60C which I am positive that I didn't reach. Additionally my computer is all stock, nothing is OC'd

On a likely unrelated note there are some additional quirks in my system that I'd been meaning to ask someone. On my startup, after the Post screen during the loading it says: Verifying DMI Pool Data...... AMD Data Change. Update DMI! (has said this from the first time I turned on the computer) What does this mean, and do I need to do anything about it?
Additionally earlier on the same day My second monitor started to load fuzzy, (when It boots both monitors display the boot up process with no problems, load screen on windows is primary monitor only, but the black screen shows the fuzzy/wavy/distortion on the edges) when I logged in and went to display properties and changed the refresh rate (between 59 and 60 hertz, there is no noticable difference between either rate) it reset and the fuzziness goes away and stays away.
Also, I had used TweakNow PowerPack 2009 to set some of my settings, including not displaying the shortcut arrow on my desktop icons, this worked at first until yesterday when now the icons are partially covered by a large black box where the shortcut arrow would go.
Related resources
November 23, 2009 11:59:46 AM

With Windows Open I've got Speed Fan and AMD OverDrive open. the system is Idling at 33C (32C ambient temp) while my GPU is idling at 51C. I hadn't realized it before, but I've never seen it idle below 50C is this unusual or a problem? Speed Fan doesn't show the GPU temp. although it is claiming that temp1: 40C, I don't know what the temp is referring to. With the bubbles screensaver my GPU managed to jump to 56C with no noticable change fromthe CPU Temp. CPU Voltages (Vcore1) are resting at .96(Speedfan) .975 (AMD OverDrive) with the occasional jump to 1.34 while Vcore2 is rock solid at 1.60.

With Dragonage Open and low Graphics settings the GPU is running at 80% and 68C, with high settings its running at 91% and 73C. These temps were reached almost immediately. I've got a case fan which blows directly on the GPU but I'm not sure that would make a difference. My CPU also jumped up to 50 C. same as with the stock cooler. however my CPU fan did adjust accordingly running at 2350 RPM now. Currently no stuttering like yesterday.
a c 93 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
November 23, 2009 1:35:30 PM

Reset cmos to clear out any junk DMI info and then setup the bios.

Load W7 in safe mode, so that it can scan for hardware and make any changes without affect stability and then reboot in normal to finish off any missing devices/drivers.
!