Installing Windows Vista Ultimate in another language

riven65

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I live in Japan and just bought and built my new system. I need an OS for it and, with the future upgrade to Win 7, it seemed like a good idea to buy Vista Ultimate 64.

I was, however, only able to get a copy of the Japanese language version. They cannot order single copies of OEM software from MS and unless I want to buy 3 copies of Vista, I can't get the English version from them

Well, after I got the system built, and the adrenaline wore off, I began to question the wisdom of my purchase (of the Japanese language version).

I know that I can change the language settings in Ultimate thru the LIP/MUI, but, my question is this:

Is it a really bad idea to install in Japanese (which I can't read), have the disks and documentation in Japanese - even though I can change the settings later? Am I asking for some unforseen headache?

Can anyone with experience on this comment, pls?

COMMENT
In the interest of fair disclosure, I should state the following:

1) I know this is not the best category for this thread, but I wasn't sure where else to stick it.

2) I already posted a message like this at the end of another thread I started in a discussion about my upcoming purchase of the system I eventually bought. I had one good reply in there (thanks Psycho Sykes!), but I was hoping for more of a discussion on the topic and didn't want to thread necro too much. Sorry for thread-recycling!

Thanks (P.S. I am itching to install SOMETHING on that new computer, so someone tell me something quick, pls! LOL!)

riven65

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

Well, erm... yes. I could probably do that. But... I can't return the version I DID pay for already. Duh... I shoulda waited. (do people on ebay ship to Japan, or is that gonna cost me an arm and a leg?)

I cant foresee why you would have any issue, but I'm no expert on the subject. When you install windows it asks you what language you want, regardless of what language your packaging was in right?
I read that in an install guide - but... the MS site seems to suggest that you need to download the LIP/MUI, or whatever it is called, to be able to change the language preferences - and only the Ultimate version has that ability.

Having never installed Vista, I don't know if I have the option to choose language upon install. I am guessing... no? But that is based on what MS said about the LIP/MUI download...

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
can you find some one who has the oem copy in english, if so copy their disk and use your key. you could also download an iso of the disk but that can get risky as some people like to insert viruses into the images.