GTS 250 crashing after about 1 hour gaming

Hi, My newly installed Gigabytes GTS 250-1GB (ZL-version)keeps crashing when I play intense 3d-games. MB is MSI P7N platinum. Temp never exceeds 69-70 degrees C. PUS is 500W. I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed. Crash description: NOT bluescreen but "graphic- chaos". Kind of like a cracked window with irregular triangles and other shapes all over the screen :(. Always have to reboot. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
14 answers Last reply
More about crashing hour gaming
  1. is 69c-70c idle temp or when playing games?

2. Top temp at intense 3d gaming.
    Idle is at around 38-40 which is higher than advertised (32) but I figure it's due to their measure beeing with an open chassi.
    Crit core temp is at 105 deg. C.
  3. Dice_69 said:
    Hi, My newly installed Gigabytes GTS 250-1GB (ZL-version)keeps crashing when I play intense 3d-games. MB is MSI P7N platinum. Temp never exceeds 69-70 degrees C. PUS is 500W. I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed. Crash description: NOT bluescreen but "graphic- chaos". Kind of like a cracked window with irregular triangles and other shapes all over the screen :(. Always have to reboot. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

What you are seeing is a symptom of a problem with the GPU. what you are seeing suggests that either the card is overheating or maybe there is build quality issue with the card where it has a weak connection that is made bad when the card gets warm, loose solder or some such.
    If you are sure the card is not getting too hot then i would return it as faulty.

Mactronix
  4. Try rolling back to a previous driver.....
  5. mactronix said:
    What you are seeing is a symptom of a problem with the GPU. what you are seeing suggests that either the card is overheating or maybe there is build quality issue with the card where it has a weak connection that is made bad when the card gets warm, loose solder or some such.
    If you are sure the card is not getting too hot then i would return it as faulty.

Mactronix

I exchanged the card and put in the new one. Still have problems. Still temps are fine.
    Updated the BIOS of my MSI P7N platinum board.
    THIS yielded a change. I no longer get graphic bugs BUT I do now get freezes every 10 minutes when playing games. (Not otherwise so far).

I'm kind of confused here!!!
  6. what is your CPU temp?

you can try reinstalling your graphic driver. remove the current one and use driver sweeper program clean any left over by the driver then reinstall the driver
  7. what is your CPU temp?

you can try reinstalling your graphic driver. remove the current one and use driver sweeper program clean any left over by the driver then reinstall the driver
  8. renz496 said:
    what is your CPU temp?

CPU temp is between 37-41 degrees C while gaming.

My former card was ATI. This is nVidia so I don't THINK it should interfere but I will try anything now.
    Any risk of a driver sweeper program removing the wrong drivers, like nVidia network control drivers?
    Which program do you suggest?
  9. you can try driver sweeper from 3dguru.com or driver cleaner pro. just google it. i used driver cleaner pro before. there is an option which driver you want to clean
  10. OK, cleaned with Driver Cleaner Pro v.1.5 and removed all ATI junk.
    Re-installed latest nVidia drivers.
    Unfortunately no inprovement in game-stability. Still locks up after a few minutes.
  11. I don't think its the GPU.... What ram and timings/voltage are you using?
  12. Have you tried bumping down Anti-Aliasing in your game settings?
  13. OvrClkr said:
    I don't think its the GPU.... What ram and timings/voltage are you using?

The RAMs I use are Kingston
    KVR53302N4/1G and
    KVR53302N4/512
    9930462-003A01LF
    P773800-1805987
    1.8V

Unfortunately, I'm a newbie when it comes to setting timings and voltage for these :(. Suggestions?

What I did do is to remove and test systematically to check for individual malfunction. All seem OK (and have been for 2 years. Nothing new added).

Also rechecked temps with other/better programs.
    GPU temp.
    OK, ran the Furmark stability test for 20+ minutes on max MSAA (x16).
    Temp came up to 74 degr. C within 5 min then kept there (+/- 1 degree) throughout the test.

CPU temp.
    Downloaded and started up CoreTemp.
    Dowbloaded and started Prime95 (ver.258).
    Readings after 15 min testing where temps had been stable (+/-1 deg) for at least 10 min:
    Core0: 62; Core1:58; Core2:61 Core3: 61

Still seems within acceptable limits, I think.
  14. if i'm not mistaken you can check the ram timing using CPUZ
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics