Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I would say the number is much higher and closure to 98% + of the world market when you look at OEM's (Dell, HP, eMachines... etc.), Laptops / Netbooks and Business applications (Servers, Work Stations... etc.). These areas are still dominated by mechanical drives, which I'm not sure if SSD's will ever make a huge dent into it. Also, you have to remember most SSD users still purchase a mechanical drive to go along with the SSD. This really prevents to some degree SSD's eating into the market share. I would take a major decrease in price per gigabyte to match mechanical drives, along with size increases.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Its hard to find any exact figures but at a guess I would say that HDD's in their various forms would hold at least 90% of the current market. However I expect that to change rapidly as the SDD's are getting bigger and cheaper.

tecmo34

Administrator
I would say the number is much higher and closure to 98% + of the world market when you look at OEM's (Dell, HP, eMachines... etc.), Laptops / Netbooks and Business applications (Servers, Work Stations... etc.). These areas are still dominated by mechanical drives, which I'm not sure if SSD's will ever make a huge dent into it. Also, you have to remember most SSD users still purchase a mechanical drive to go along with the SSD. This really prevents to some degree SSD's eating into the market share. I would take a major decrease in price per gigabyte to match mechanical drives, along with size increases.

Solution
Thanks. There seems to be a lot of people on the forum who has a ssd as boot drive, including myself. But I don't see the percentage as high as in real life, so I am just wondering if it is because of the area I live in or is it because of the forum attracts a lot of people with ssd. Well, I think it is because the forum has a lot of people with ssd.

Status
Not open for further replies.