arnuld

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
My friend has a USB drive. Its kind of secret drive, means when you put it in Windows it shows itself in Device Manager but not in My Computer. You can't access it (or see it in My Computer) unless you use special software provided by them (drivers). He bought it for that reason as he does not want it to be accessed by anyone. Company title is somewhat like "manupatra".

My friend wants to access it on Linux. I plugged it on KNOPPIX Live CD and it shows itself in the output of dmesg and lsusb but not in fdisk -l. It was just like Windows then.

How this USB drive can be accessed in Linux ? or generally whats the idea behind this, it is hardware level secrecy or software level ? can it be accessed without those special drivers when they are not available for any other OS except Windows ?

Contact the manufacturer. If they supply the software for Linux, you can download it from them. If only for Windows, either you are out of luck or you have to write a program to crack their security. In the latter case, we won't help you or give you pointers here.

Good luck.