Overclocking e5400 help!!

geezercid

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I have an intel e5400 cpu and can take it to 3.2ghz on stock volts. i run with fsb at 240 over 200 leaving ram at 300mhz 4:5 with off timings. I want to run my ddr2667 ram at stock speeds so i dont have to change timings (lonnngg) with my e5400 at 3.6ghz, ive got a sweet cooler, but it wont boot, or if it does, it wont stay on for long when set at 266fsb. i suspect it is my volts but ive only got three settings in bios for that: dram voltage, vcore voltage and vtt voltage which one should i choose.
its obviously not dram voltage, which one should i change and what should it be to, please help i dont want to mess my system up

It does matter. for one thing, different boards use different BIOS schemes. I am pretty sure that AsRock uses the same type of BIOS as Asus - which is very differnt from Gigabyte, for example.

The G31/G41 chipset is an economy, entry level chipset. Unless you get really lucky, you will not be able to push the FSB freq past about 360 MHz. I have a G'byte G41 board. FSB freq of 352 MHz works. 353 MHz doesn't.

On the other hand, the G31 works pretty well with the E5200 series CPU chips (relatively low FSB and high internal multiplier).

First, adjust your FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1 to give you the best stability and keep you from running past the limits of your RAM.

Then you are ready to start the "increase FSB, test, increase vcore, retest" cycle.

With a better than stock cooler and a little bit of luck, you should be able to get to at least 3.8 GHz.

Keep vcore under 1.45 volts and load temps under 70 C.

4745454b

Titan
Allow me to be "rude" for a moment. If you don't know what voltages are what, or which to change, STOP trying to OC and do a lot more research. I can tell from your post that you have a small grasp of what to do, but no clue how to get there. Education first unless you have the $$$ to buy replacement parts.

geezercid

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
thank you guys but tbh i belive that vtt is the termination in the cpu and vcore is cpu also so thats why im asking, from the other guys helpful statement i see that its the vcore i should b messing with. are you guys sure that vtt voltage is of no relevance?