RAID 0 w/SSD MSI win7 64

If your motherboard supports RAID, all instructions are in the motherboard manual. You need to get into the BIOS in order to do this. When you set up RAID, all previous data on the disks will be lost.

Please read about the pitfalls of RAID 0 (striping). If you lose one disk, all data is lost!

PaPa Duane

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

MB manual and/or MSI site seem to support xp and vista. Not win7. And I don't have a floppy drive to make a setup or install disk. I have found a driver that I have downloaded ATI_SB8xx_RAID_764.zip but there doesn't seem to be any instructions on what to do, or how to install.

Get into the BIOS and look around.

What is the specific model of motherboard that you have?

PaPa Duane

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

890GXM-G65
Part#911-7642-009

I have a basic idea of what I need or think I need. I think I have the right driver. I'm just not sure of the sequince that I need to do everything. Seems like I need a 3.5" floppy to do the installation. I don't have one and maybe I can use a USB mem stick instead? Then what do I put on it? Yeah I know I need to make some changes to the BIOS settings. But that's when I have an installation disk (or mem stick).

Don't do it. With current chipsets and drivers, SSDs in RAID do not get the TRIM command and performance will degrade over time.

Note that some will disagree with me, saying that the drive's internal garbage collection will be sufficient.

Finally, if you do use RAID0, remember that it is more likely to fail than single-disk configurations, and harder to recover data in case of a failure. Do frequent backups.

==========================

That said. If the drives are new and don't already have data or your system on them, and they will be your boot drives, first disconnect any other drives from your system. Then attach the two SSDs and set the drive controller in the BIOS to RAID mode. When you reboot, look for a BIOS message to the effect of "press Ctl/A for RAID configuration" and press the relevant key. The menu that it gives you should be sufficiently clear to build a RAID from the two drives.

Then put your Win7 DVD in the drive, boot from it, and do an install. The Win7 installation is savvy about drivers needed for RAID and AHCI.

If this is an existing system, and you want to keep the existing OS installation, that's another question. Let us know.

PaPa Duane

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Well... yes, I started out with an SSD (I thought for OS only) then a 500GB baracuda for storage. SSD 64G is almost full. Have no idea how that happened, but it has. Oh I think a big chunk of it came with Open Office. And I'm not happy with that. So I bought another SSD 64 and thought that the two of them would give me enough space. Then I thought it would be cool to have them in RAID for speed. Impress the grandkids.... this is not my main PC. But I hate like everything to have to restage the HD.... have to call MS to do it (thats a pain).

PaPa Duane

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Please read my other tread. Not sure how that happened that I got the two of these. Anyway, I explain some of what I'd like to do in it. I use the PC for my grandkids. And they like to play those war games. Hopefully I can get this RAID thing working. Then it's time to crossfire my Radeon 6850. Boy's should really get into that.

Let's see if we can free up some space, then. The best solution would be to free up space on your system drive.

1) Windows updates occupy a huge amount of room when they leave their uninstall files behind. Most especially, have you installed Service Pack 1 yet? Over 10 GB for me.

There are solutions for this. If you know that you never intend to rollback these patches, remove them. This is easier said than done, but I have read that Disk Cleanup will do this for you in Win7.

2) Purge all of your temporary files and browser cache. Then configure your temporary directory and browser cache to be on either the new SSD, treated as a data drive, or the HDD.

3) If you haven't done so already, move My Documents from your system drive to the HDD. If you have iTunes or the like, check that you configured the library to be off the system drive.

Basically, I'm looking for all the data that can be moved off of that drive, either to the new SSD or the HDD.

4) System restore points also eat up system disk space. If you do frequent backups, you can reduce or even eliminate system restore points.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I don't have Win7, but read it has built-in drivers for Ahci and Raid on several controllers, including Intel. This must be why the mobo manufacturer doesn't offer a driver on F6 dikuette.

I've tried a Raid-0 on two X25-E (probably faster than the ones you plan to Raid) and it improves nothing, nada, niente, walu. One single X25-E is already faster than an E8600 @4GHz. Spare the worries.

He has this discussion going on in two threads!

PaPa Duane

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
This is going to take a while.... hope you don't mind. Dinner at in laws today + they are having a birthday there too. I will clean up the SSD drive and get back on tomorrow evening. OH I found two files on that drive that are huge... hiberfil.sys (6G) and pagefile.sys (8G). Thought about renaming them and see if everything still works ok. Just a little nervous about doing anything to a sys file. But the size... just can't imagine it.

PaPa Duane

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Wow.... I sure didn't expect to hear that..... really popped my bubble.... Seemed like a cheap way to have a really fast HD system. Back to the drawing board. What's a guy to do now? I don't really have an open budget here. But sure whould like more speed.