I have the craziest problem ever

mnybergsmu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Ok so I built my system a few weeks ago and its working awesome except for one little thing. Everytime I push the motherboard tray all the way into the computer the computer will not boot. But when I take the tray out like an inch it boots and works perfectly. I have taken apart the entire system and put it back together only with the same result. There is nothing obvious that is shorting the motherboard when I push it in, everything it touches pulled out an inch is pretty much everything that is touching it when i push the tray in all the way. I would love to hear any ideas, this is really frustrating to me.

Oh and my specs are below:

Thermaltake VH600LBWS liquid cooled case
6gb XMS-DDR3 Corsair
150gb VelociRaptor
1TB WD generic harddrive (I forgot what specifically this one was)
Intel i-7 920 not overclocked anymore till I fix this problem
ASUS Rampage II Gene Mobo
Corsair TX 750W Power supply
GeForce GTX 285 Graphics card
Blue-Ray drive

LOL - Very true!

This is an obvious short. It's just a matter of finding it. I've seen the little metal tabs go into a rear USB port and cause a short.

mnybergsmu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

The motherboard is screwed into the motherboard tray. I dont see how there can be a short from the mb to the mb tray if it works when I pull the whole tray out just a bit (motherboard and all) and doesnt work if I push the entire thing in. I've checked the standoffs and theres not any piece of the mb touching the tray. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

It seems to me that the mb must be shorting on the tray , so that when the tray can properly contact the case the short is complete . Paint on the try might be enough to keep it isolated till its firmly in place

It could be a very tiny piece of metal or fiber under a stand off , it could be that you didnt use the isolating washers on the standoffs.

I would demount it all and check very carefully

mnybergsmu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Ok so I have a new fun catch to this problem that I discovered while I was toying around with ideas to fix it. It seems that when I lay the computer down flat with the mobo facing up it works and boots perfectly with the tray all the way in. When I go to stand it up it shorts and does not work anymore. Then again I pull the tray out slightly when its standing up and it works again.

So far I've removed and reinstalled the motherboard 3 times with 2 different types of screws. I've looked for any metal to mobo contact and there looks to be none. Any other ideas? This really does seem like a crazy short problem to me and I have had no luck with anything I've tried.

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I would mount the mobo with like 1 or two screws (just enough to hold it in place) then see if it it shorts, if not then start putting in screws one at a time to see which one is the culprit. Also If you have to line the mobo tray with saran wrap or something to stop the metal to metal connection and see if that helps