Sign in with
Your question

Boot Problems-Added HD from old PC w/XP to new PC w/Win7

Last response: in Storage
June 25, 2011 2:46:22 PM

I looked through the storage FAQ and install guide and found the following the text. This seems relevant to my issue. I took an old HD with Win XP and plugged it into my new PC with Win 7 as a second HD (I needed files off of the old HD when the old PC crashed). After just plug and play, I had no problems for some time. Then received blue screen and indication that PC was trying to boot XP off the old drive. Is there a guide to dealing with this type of install? THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

"This guide is NOT for adding another drive or controller to an existing system when the Windows installation doesn't move from it's existing controller. That is a much easier task and can be done with standard driver installation and the Disk Management utility in Windows."
a c 76 G Storage
June 25, 2011 3:37:27 PM

Check the boot order and make sure that your Windows 7 disk is selected.
a c 104 G Storage
June 25, 2011 3:55:11 PM

Hi there, welcome to Tom's Hardware!

This should be fairly straight forward, where with both HDDs attached, the BIOS is confused which HDD is Active.

It sounds like the older HDD has the Win-XP OS on it, along with data you want to copy over to your new computer?

Tell us about your new computer, make, MB, what other devices are attached (HDD, DVD, etc.).

Go into your Win-7 BIOS, and on the Advanced CMOS page, click on the Hard Disk Drive Boot Priority to make sure your new Win-7 HDD is first in the order, and the older HDD is second. Adjust it if incorrect. That may correct the problem.

Then boot up to Win-7. If problems, disconnect the USB Win-XP drive initially until you boot up properly. Then reconnect.

Go to Disk Management and in the lower graphical section report what is listed. First row should be Disk 0, Basic, size, Online - and under the dark blue band VolName, DriveLetter, size, NTFS,l Healthy(Primary etc.)).
List the second row also. Under the Volume Status area, where is says VolName, DriveLetter, size, NTFS, Healthy(Primary, Active, System)

If that second line Volume Status is listed as Active, you can set is as Inactive so it is not a choice for the BIOS to hand off control.
!