New build setting up ssd questions

iamloco724

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
hi im pretty much set on what im getting for my first build but i have some questions about running an ssd as my main os drive

i plan to get the intel 510 and put windows 7 on there along with my programs and my music,vids pics and other stuff on my internal hard drive

i know before i setup windows 7 to go into bios and set the ssd for ahci..is there anything else i should do before the windows 7 install or during?

my other question is what that defaults to the c drive should i move to the ssd and how do i do it?

this is most of the programs i will install will be a bunch others but this is the majority of it

my main concern is certain programs that will be on the ssd that might write to disk often like firefox..so how do i for example setup firefox ideally for use with an ssd along with any other programs you see on the list that might need something directory changed ?

µTorrent
Acronis Disk Director Home
Adobe AIR
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
Adobe Reader X (10.1.0)
AIM 7
Amazon MP3 Downloader 1.0.12
Auslogics BoostSpeed
Boilsoft Video Joiner 5.32
Boilsoft Video Splitter 5.16
BS.Player FREE
CCleaner
Daniusoft Media Converter Pro(Build 2.3.4.0)
dBpoweramp [Calculate Audio CRC] Codec
dBpoweramp CD Writer
dBpoweramp Dalet Codec
dBpoweramp DSP Effects
dBpoweramp FLAC Codec
dBpoweramp m4a Codec
dBpoweramp Monkeys Audio Codec
dBpoweramp Mp2 and BwfMp2 codec
dBpoweramp mp3 (Fraunhofer IIS) Codec
dBpoweramp Music Converter
dBpoweramp Ogg Vorbis Codec
dBpoweramp Real Audio (Helix) Encoder
dBPoweramp tooLame MP2 codec
dBpoweramp Wave64 Codec
dBpoweramp WavPack Codec
dBpoweramp Windows Media Audio 10 Codec
Ext2Fsd 0.48
Handbrake 0.9.4
Internet Download Manager
iTunes
Java(TM) 6 Update 25
K-Lite Codec Pack 6.8.0 (Full)
Last.fm 1.5.4.27091
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.51.0.1200
MedianSoft Joiner-Converter 3.8
Office
MotoConnect 1.1.31
Motorola Mobile Drivers Installation 4.7.1
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.18)
NOD32 antivirus system
ObjectDock Plus 2
PerfectDisk 10 Professional
PhoneMyPc

Photoshop

PowerISO
QuickTime
RSDLite
TouchCopy 09
Tunebite
xat.com Image Optimizer
Your Uninstaller!

For tips on configuring an SSD, read the article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html .

As far as what to install on the SSD, my _personal_ opinion is: It's your system drive. Install everything there. If it wears out in five years, buy another and restore from your backups.

File storage such as iTunes should be configured to a directory on a hard drive. After all, you will never need SSD speeds with iTunes. If you do a lot of transcoding and music editing, you might want to move the files that you are working with to the SSD during work sessions. Sure, it puts more wear on the device, but your work will go faster. Are you there to serve the machine, or is the machine there to serve you?

LordConrad

Distinguished
If you're a heavy Photoshop user, or do lots of video transcoding, make sure your Scratch Disks and temporary transcoding files are on a hard drive (or a RAID 0 hard drive array) instead of the SSD. If you only edit photos or transcode videos occasionally, then you can ignore this advice.