Radeon HD3850 AGP problems

pc-twitchy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Hi all, just joined up. My system is XPPSP3, running on an oldish Gigabyte GA-7VAXP A-Ultra with 2GB ram. I build and service PCs for a living.

I don't want to move to PCIE just yet, so I recently bought a new AGP card, a PowerColor Radeon HD3850. This was mainly to improve the performance of Elder Scroll's Oblivion.

But I'm disappointed in the results. The first problem is screen flicker. Even with the refresh cranked up to 120hz, the shimmer is still there.

My monitor is a Phillips 19" 109P4 crt. It's aging but the display is excellent; IMHO, sharper and more detailed than most LCDs. And with my old GFX card, an XFX GeForce 7800GS, I've never had any problems.

But with the Radeon I can't get rid of the flicker. Also, my PC has crashed several times, and this hasn't been playing Oblivion, just viewing webpages.

So until I get some better advice, I've reinstalled my old 7800GS and it's rock solid. No flicker at 85hz and no crashes.

Anyone have an idea what the Radeon problem might be?

pc-twitchy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Yes, first thing. Did the usual 'Ad-Remove' progs but also did a few extra things, to make sure every trace of the NVidia was gone.

But to no avail. So the GeForce 7800GS is back again and is rock solid.

However, all is not lost. I cobbled together a machine out of unused parts, threw in the HD3850, and patched it into my lounge system, which is running a 46" Bravia.

Amazingly, the Radeon behaves itself there. So I can only conclude it doesn't like CRT monitors.

Thanks for your input :)