OC is simple?

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm brand spanking new to this, I have a decent knowledge of PCs in general but it never crossed my mind to OC my processor.

Anyway, the reason I am posting this is because I was in bios the other day when I noticed the overclock section, it had some presets in their (I cant remember but I believe they were called v6, v8 and v12?!). Is it as simple as selecting one of these or is there more to it? Ive done a bit of a search on the matter but the results I got were a lot more technical than my limited knowledge could handle!

I currectly have AMD Athlon II x4 2.60 GHZ, 8GB ram.

thanks

burntoast

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

I'm a fairly new overclocker myself and it definitely requires some reading and understanding before you start. It's not a matter of simply changing one setting (unless maybe if you have a Black Edition CPU), but balancing multiple settings to ensure a stable system. I highly suggest reading some guides on overclocking AMD Athlon II CPUs, such as this one. After reading the guide, I suggest not changing any setting in the BIOS unless you know exactly what it does. If you'd like some advice, please reply back with the exact type of motherboard, CPU, CPU heatsink/cooler, RAM, and operating system you have.

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

Hi Diddle

Turbo Boost is a poor way of attempting to oc any system. Those are predetermined settings that are for auto overclocking. Auto oc typically results in instability and improper clocks/voltage. Its not as hard as it sounds but look at the guides and ask questions before you attempt to make any changes.