CPU: Intel Core i5 750
Mobo: Asus Maximus III Formula RoG
PSU: Corsair TX650W
GPU: ATI HD 5830
RAM: 4 x 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333MHz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932

Now my problem:

I used to have my system running happily at 4.0GHz. The other day I noticed that it was back at stock speeds (2.67GHz) and that the RAM was showing up as 8.0GB but only 4.0GB usable. I have had the DIMMs out and changed them around and the full 8.0GB is usable again. However, whenever I try to OC my mobo it still runs at stock speeds. Even using the mobos easy overclock feature doesn't work.

Also (don't know if this changes anything), I have tried putting another GPU in (Nvidia GTS240) that I'm borrowing off a mate to try and get my 3 monitors working. Some sites had said it would work mixing ATI and Nvidia and others said it wouldn't so I thought I'd give it a go. It all worked fine and I managed to use all 3 monitors but as part of my trying to figure out the OC problem I have taken it back out for now. This hasn't helped with the OC.

If anyone has any ideas why this would be then I'd appreciate your help...2.67GHz seems slow when you're used to 4.0GHz!

Thanks a lot!

James

More about : computer stay overclocked

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2011 3:15:33 PM

Hello... my experence with that problem always related to the BIOS not happy with Overclock setting to the RAM... and thus will set back to a safe/Standard clock/FSB settings. Getting Ram to be happy with the motherboard/BIOS, and your desired CPU overclock, is fustrating, and is a trial and error setting endeavor.

Getting your CPU to a higher speed is the most important factor for Over Clocking and computer performance... Don't be overclocking and maybe be "Under clocking" you Ram Memory to get what you want... Ram modules are not as flexiable as the CPU's are.
!