HD5850 or 5870 with a GTX260

Ok guys i have a question. I would like to know if i can use my GTX260 as a physX card and use a HD 5870 as my main card on a Xfire mobo, and if so how do i go about setting this up ? drivers ect, and would my 620 Push this setup

Thanks all

Specs in Sig

Solution

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265393-33-4830-graphics-nvidia-9500gt-physx

Yes, it is possible, then and now. Use whatever ATI drivers you want to, and use 181.22 drivers from nVidia, and download the latest PhysX runtime. Follow the steps in my posts on that thread, and you'll get it to work.

I would probably get something that's a lot more power efficient, because PhysX isn't particularly demanding until it comes to 3dMark Vantage's CPU score. I'd go for a 9500GT or so, it'll run PhysX just fine.
I thought the issue I heard was about running the ATI and NVidia drivers simultaneously. I think that this may not be an issue for XP and 7, but Vista couldn't do it (not sure on this though either). In other words, there may be hope, so look into it further, but I don't know for sure (would be really cool if you could do it though).

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Where have you guys been? :)

Anyway.. no, it is not possible. Nvidia has made it so that physX can not be used if a video card made by anyone other than themselves is present in the system. This used to work (sort of) but not any more.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
^ +1

Like he said, it worked a while ago, but not anymore. You could possibly use older drviers to get ti working but the whole thing is messy, running Nvidia and ATI drivers at the same time.

Yeah, NVidia has yet to prove a significant worth of a Physx card in real games, so definitely not a reason not to get a 5870. Too bad though, as I could have seen myself getting one of their cards for that reason just for fun. Oh well, their loss.

Wow, that was a dumb move nVidia :pfff:

Especially with Win7 letting us use multiple display drivers again, I would have though nVidia would have been happy selling the extra cards and getting PhysX support out there.
This is nothing but another nail in PhysX's coffin.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265393-33-4830-graphics-nvidia-9500gt-physx

Yes, it is possible, then and now. Use whatever ATI drivers you want to, and use 181.22 drivers from nVidia, and download the latest PhysX runtime. Follow the steps in my posts on that thread, and you'll get it to work.

I would probably get something that's a lot more power efficient, because PhysX isn't particularly demanding until it comes to 3dMark Vantage's CPU score. I'd go for a 9500GT or so, it'll run PhysX just fine.

Solution
Sure, using old drivers will work for now but what about in the future?
It was mentioned in TGGA's linked thread that nVidia will eventually update the PhysX API so it requires the newer drivers.
This means that newer games will probably not be able to use PhysX.
Kinda left in the dust then...

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I hope that nVidia changes it's mind about that. I think it's stupid to lock out the functionality of a product that the consumer purchased.

However, as of now, it still works. So, until they (maybe) decide to pull the plug, at least you will have been able to use it up until then.

Such a shame. Thanks for the info jedimasterben. If this were possible (in the long run) it might give physX hope to really catch on. Now I just can't see any game developer putting serious effort into it when such a large portion of the gaming cards (ATI) can't do it on the GPU.

It won't change, nV is doing the scorched earth game, where they'll destroy PhysX if they think it'll get them sales now against the newer cards from ATi and keep people from buying NEW ATi to pair with their OLD nVidia.

And it's not (maybe) they will pull the plug, they've already pulled it, it just taking alot of time for the the ripple effect (like discharging a capacitor or draining a tub). They might change their mind and put the plug back in, but it's already pulled.

C'mon OpenCL and open platforms. Heck C'mon Havok and add some competition to just put pressure on the situation!

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Very true. I just have high hopes. :)

Once Havok gets accelerated by ATi cards, that race is over. It's kinda like the tortoise and the hare, with ATi being the tortoise and nVidia the hare. The tortoise hasn't even started, has no legs, but is being fitted with rocket boosters instead. The hare is like 10 feet ahead, taunting him, then intentionally steps on a bear trap.

All we have to do is wait for the rockets to finish. :D

Actually once intel just makes it OpenCL so it can be accelerated by ATi and nV cards (even against nV's wishes) AND additional CPU cores, where it's in the users' hands, then it's game over and dead like dinner. (I know it should be done, but dead sounds better). ;)

It can't come soon enough really if theyr ever want to make physics something that devs consider more than just falling trees and rag-doll trolls, oh yes and the silly plastic sheetin in ME. :lol:

Once it's device agnostic then both ATi and nV fanbois will rejoice and then return to slagging each other about drivers... err wait not so much anymore.. ok AF IQ ... err wait... uh.... Mascots.... errr... wait.... um.... they can both pick on S3, yeah that's the ticket. :evil:

The thing is i use a GTX260 atm but i was thinging about getting a new 5850 or 5870 and useing my 260 for PhysX, would not make sence to buy a 9500GT when i own a GTX 260