Bios setings for ram ....pls help !!

Hy all !.....y got a few question regarding owerkloking the ram.......

y got the phenom 2 x4 955 , the gigabit GA-970A-UD3 MOBO ,8 gb of vengence ram ( 2x4 ) and ati radeon 6850..


now i'm curently at 3.9 ( 260 x 15 ) HT link 2340 .same goes for northbridge freq. but y had to lower the ram freq.

to 1385 ..( lowerd the rams multiplayer )... the ram are at 1600 Mh from 'birth '........
y uped the procesor voltaje from 1.4 to 1.425 .....the rest its on default voltages...

now the big question.....what timings and setings shoul y use for ram to run them at 1765 ( or something like

that ) that's 165 Mh ower its manufactured freq. the ram are at 1.5 v......the current cloks are ..;

fsb ; dram 3;8
cas latency 10
ras to cas delay 10
ras precharge 10
cycle time 26
bank cycle time 35
comand rate 1 T


PLS HELP !!.. thanks in advance ..and scuse my bad english :) :lol:
14 answers Last reply
More about bios setings
  1. Typically, you need to just increase each setting by 1 then run your stability test. If it still crashes, adjust up by 1 again and try again. This can have a bad effect eventually if your timings go up too high because even though your frequency is higher, your timings become so high that the RAM performs worse than stock settings.

    If you have a Black Edition CPU, I would recommend dialing back the FSB a little and upping the CPU multiplier. You can then manually set your RAM timings to their defaults at 1600 and push your HT frequency up to where your RAM doesn't go beyond it's rated frequency of 1600.

    You also won't see a significant difference in performance by overclocking RAM. If you really feel the need to have high speed RAM, I'd recommend purchasing RAM rated for a higher frequency. Otherwise, my personal opinion is not to push RAM too far.
  2. blondu07 said:
    Hy all !.....y got a few question regarding owerkloking the ram.......

    y got the phenom 2 x4 955 , the gigabit GA-970A-UD3 MOBO ,8 gb of vengence ram ( 2x4 ) and ati radeon 6850..


    now i'm curently at 3.9 ( 260 x 15 ) HT link 2340 .same goes for northbridge freq. but y had to lower the ram freq.

    to 1385 ..( lowerd the rams multiplayer )... the ram are at 1600 Mh from 'birth '........
    y uped the procesor voltaje from 1.4 to 1.425 .....the rest its on default voltages...

    now the big question.....what timings and setings shoul y use for ram to run them at 1765 ( or something like

    that ) that's 165 Mh ower its manufactured freq. the ram are at 1.5 v......the current cloks are ..;

    fsb ; dram 3;8
    cas latency 10
    ras to cas delay 10
    ras precharge 10
    cycle time 26
    bank cycle time 35
    comand rate 1 T


    PLS HELP !!.. thanks in advance ..and scuse my bad english :) :lol:

    It looks like 1:2.66 is the tightest ratio you can use without exceeding 800 MHz DRAM freq (DDR3-1600). If you went 1:3.33 it would be too much (865.8 DRAM freq or DDR3-1731.6). :( You could do one of the following:

    1) Increase CPU reference clock to 300 and lower CPU multiplier to x13 for 3.9 GHz CPU speed. Lower HT Link multiplier to x7 and NB multiplier to x8. Your CPU might become unstable with the higher ref clock. This might also require higher CPU voltages, so you'd need to check if it's safe for your board. Use the same 1:2.66 FSB:DRAM ratio for 798 DRAM freq (DDR3-1596).

    2) Decrease CPU ref clock to 240 and keep CPU multi at x15 for 3.6 GHz CPU speed... Lower the CPU voltage and use 1:3.33 ratio for 799.2 DRAM freq (DDR3-1598.4).

    P.S. Do you have a Black Edition CPU? If so, follow step 2 and increase CPU multiplier to x16 if you can for 3.9 GHz CPU speed.
  3. burntoast said:
    It looks like 1:2.66 is the tightest ratio you can use without exceeding 800 MHz DRAM freq (DDR3-1600). If you went 1:3.33 it would be too much (865.8 DRAM freq or DDR3-1731.6). :( You could do one of the following:

    1) Increase CPU reference clock to 300 and lower CPU multiplier to x13 for 4.9 GHz CPU speed. This would likely mean increased CPU voltages, so you'd need to check if it's safe for your board. Use the same 1:2.66 ratio for 798 DRAM freq (DDR3-1596).

    2) Decrease CPU ref clock to 240 and keep CPU multi at x15 for 3.6 GHz... Lower the voltage and use 1:3.33 ratio for 799.2 DRAM freq (DDR3-1598.4).

    P.S. Do you have a Black Edition CPU? If so, follow step 2 and increase CPU multiplier to x16 if you can.



    Yes ...y got the black edition......y dyd 20 min in prim and crashed//////fsb 270 ...ram 1480.....id increased v for ram NB and HT link.......the NB is at 2400 and HT link at 2100
  4. y dont know whay cpu z lists 1.34 v core ...y set it from bios to 1.425 .....from 1.4
  5. blondu07 said:
    Yes ...y got the black edition......y dyd 20 min in prim and crashed//////fsb 270 ...ram 1480.....id increased v for ram NB and HT link.......the NB is at 2400 and HT link at 2100

    Great, then try lowering the FSB to 240 and setting the CPU multiplier to x16 for 3.84 GHz CPU speed. Then use a 1:2.66 (FSB:RAM) ratio for 798 DRAM freq (DDR3-1596). Try to stay around 1.175-1.25v for CPU-NB voltage and stay at 1.2v for HT Link.
  6. y read on some forums thet amd procesors oc nicely when ram is under 1600 .....and some people had some hard time tryng to stay stable with the ram at 1600 .....what do u think of this....im some what confused
  7. I've overclocked my Phenom II X4 830 from 2.8 GHz to 3.5 GHz in one step and my system has been running stable in Prime 95. But I couldn't set my ram ratio manually and my UEFI (similar to BIOS) automatically set it to 3:10 (1:3.33). Right now my ram is 833.4 MHz or DDR3-1666.8.
  8. good OC u got there .....im runung prime wright now by almoust 40 min ...stays stable.....but y will go back in the bios to set the ht to 2000 ( stok ) ....does not help me much.........should y up the ram V ...from 1.5 .....or should y leav it alone..wright now is undercloked at 1440........if it stays stable with this set. ....il be satisfide
  9. by the way !!...what ram are u using....?
  10. y prefer to owerkloc as much from FSB then the multiplyer.......u could have 2 computers at the same speed ...say 3.2 ..1 owerkloked more from the multiplayer and the other more from fsb ( like mi rig ) .....the performance benchmarkings whont bee the same........the reason is thet the fsb act's like a bridge betwen flowing data betwen other components and the cpu........unlike raising more from the multiplayer u raised only the cpu's freq......
  11. You probably shouldn't exceed the maximum voltage the ram was designed to run on, even if CPU-Z reports a lower voltage. The lower voltage might just be a bad sensor on the motherboard. I personally use the G.SKILL Sniper DDR3-1600 at 1.3~v. Got it yesterday with a new board + CPU. :)

    Sorry, in my last post I meant to suggest a 1:3.33 (FSB:RAM) multiplier and lower your FSB to 245 MHz. A x16 CPU multi would make it a 3.92 GHz CPU. I'm pretty sure you could run stable with it and it would make your ram 815.85 DRAM freq or DDR3-1631.7.
  12. y was reffering to cpu V not ram......ram is at 1.5 V ....i whould try to go with 300 fsb and a 1;3.33 fsb ram but im not sure the cpu will handle well a 300 fsb freq,......i build this new rig tofheter with my neighbor , wee have the same rigs and hi's having dificulty keeping it at 270 fsb freq...........
  13. i had enabled cool&quiet in the bios.......is this good...regarding the owerkloc......when i run prime cpuz give's me 3.9 GH and my desktop gadget and also the right clik on my comp. sais 2.9 GH........why does they show diffrent speed's?????........shoul y disable back the cool& quiet option?
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD BIOS RAM Overclocking Product