Panzer_39

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hi,

I know this question has been asked before, however I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for, so here goes.

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong on my parent's business computer - all of a sudden it refuses to boot into windows, restarts and gives the error message with the following options:

Start in...

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
last known good config
Start normally

Each of the above just restarts the computer and goes back to the same screen. I have read that it's possible to boot from a windows disk - which I don't have, but I'm sure I could find it online. However I do not know which windows is installed, I'm inclined to go with professional since it is used for business.

The real issue is that if I reinstall, it will wipe the drive clean and unfortunately I need the data on there. Anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers

camaro77

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
First of all, find My Computer and right click on it. Then click properties. It will tell you what os has been installed. As for saving all the info, back it up on a disk, then reformat the drive, and then load all information from the disk to the computer. Hope I was of some help.

mibix19

Distinguished
Hi When starting , press F8 and a list will appear. Choose Disable automatic restart after a system failure and see if you can start up. If you can, go to system restore and select a date before you had problems your computer. If not start your computer and press F8, and select safe mode from the list.If you can get in do a system restore to a point before you had problems

mibix19

Distinguished
f you need to do a reinstall you can get all your data off the computer first if you download Puppy Linux and boot from that. You can copy all your files to a external hard drive or memory stick from there. It sounds complicated but if you take your time it will be easier than you may think

Panzer_39

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately I can't get into windows at all, safe mode or not. I also believe my parent's haven't set up a back up or restore point ever. I will try the Puppy Linux out and see what happens. Cheers