How to fix a cyclic Redundancy check error on a hard drive?

Hello, Hopefully someone here can help me...
I recently transferred all my photo & music files to my portable hard drive, then deleted them from my computer... today I accidently dropped the portable hard drive & now i'm having all sorts of issues trying to retrieve any files from it. When I plug it into the laptop the autorun searches through the files & appears to find them all... most of the photo files will slowly appear as thumbnails (& I do mean slowly - took half a day to get 1 folder to come up & even then some files were still loading).. when I try to open them the preview takes forever to load & often only displays half of the photo? When I try to copy the files to a second hard drive I get 2 different error messages - 1 says: 001 data error (cyclic redundancy check) & the other says: 008 cannot find the sector requested. Im completely computer illiterate so I googled the errors & was advised to install 'wisefixer' which i did, but it doesnt seem to scan the external drive, only the c: drive??? Maybe im doing something wrong??... Somebody also suggested using 'recover my files' but im not sure its what I need since my files arent exactly lost they just seem to be broken... can they be recovered or is it a hopeless endeavour? I dont want to have to take it to pc hospital unless I absolutely have to. Its doing my head in! Any suggestions would be really appreciated. cheers
3 answers Last reply
More about cyclic redundancy check error hard drive
  1. This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Storage by Grumpy9117
  2. try running checkdisk on your portable harddrive..

open cmd in the
    start menu-->
    type --> cmd

in the cmd prompt screen..

type in
    CHKDSK K: /R
    <--- wherein "K:" stands for drive letter and "/R" stands for repair
    you may also use "/F" which stands for Fix

Hope this will help.. have a good day..
    God bless!
  3. This is excatly what I was looking for ! I have the same issue so I will try this solution.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Photo Portable Hard Drive Storage