Sign in with
Your question

I7 2600k @ 49C High with H80

Last response: in Overclocking
November 11, 2011 10:50:44 PM

Hi Guys,

I just had to ask this. A friend of mine posted his results for Prime 95 using an i7 2600k at stock with a H80 cooler with GT AP-31 (push pull config at full, yes full 5400rpm loud shrill). I couldn't believe his results. He said he had an ambient of about 26C. After a short 30 minute test he got Highs of 46 49 46 44 on the cores. Is this really possible? I mean I can't believe it

Here are his specs:
Intel Core i7 2600K processor
Corsair H80 Liquid CPU cooler
GIGABYTE P67A UD3P B3 motherboard
Inno3D GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB GPU
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9 RAM
1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
Cooler Master GX750 750W PSU
Cooler Master Elite 430 Chassis

More about : 2600k 49c high h80

November 14, 2011 12:01:27 AM

Has anyone done this with their system?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 10:26:03 AM

Well, no OC + good case + short 30 minute test + H80 on HIGH level = could be done.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2011 10:26:39 AM

Ask him to try 90min test : )
m
l
November 17, 2011 2:22:15 AM

Hi nikorr thanks for the reply. Ill let him try that out. The temps just shocked me since my VenX would cool my cpu at 55C but its a Q8400 OC'd and I have a better Air cooling case. the difference of 10C is just crazy in my opinion thats why I had to ask plus for it to be able to beat the best air coolers temps is something even crazier.

I have read reviews that the H80 is still not at par with the top aircoolers like the Silver Arrow, NH-D14, Archon so its just a really big shock.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2011 1:20:47 PM

The thing about closed loop liquid coolers is that their performance is equal but not superior to good air coolers. Where they benefit a system is where they exhaust their heat directly outside the case. What you should look for in a closed loop is performance near the best air coolers. The benefit is to all the other parts of the rig: mobo, GPU(s), RAM, HDD(s), etc.
m
l
February 21, 2012 11:00:57 PM

chesteracorgi said:
The thing about closed loop liquid coolers is that their performance is equal but not superior to good air coolers. Where they benefit a system is where they exhaust their heat directly outside the case. What you should look for in a closed loop is performance near the best air coolers. The benefit is to all the other parts of the rig: mobo, GPU(s), RAM, HDD(s), etc.

I can certainty say that closed loop air coolers perform far better than air coolers. I have owned a thermaltake frio which stands pretty high on the ladder of air cooling solutions. Its heatsink is massive and dense with two high rpm fans in a push pull configuration. I had to max out fan rpm to get results like 60c under load. On my most recent build I got an H80 for $70 and so far it has been great. Closed loop means there is nearly no chance for a leak and there is far less maintenance involved after it gets mounted. Its nearly silent even on its highest fan setting. Its more visually appealing than most gigantic air coolers and even with a good back-plate its not great to be putting that much stress on the motherboard. I ran prime95 for two days and and got 52c max on any core and 29c idle with an i7 2600k at 4.8 1.35v. The radiator is attached to the top backside of the case where there would normally be a 120mm fan. The additional airflow being pushed out of the case has brought my gtx 580 sli setup down by 10c. Although I cant say I wouldn't want a real water cooling setup I mean I put a ton of money into my current system already but its just that I don't want to invest 600+ into something that doesn't have many benefits. My temps are already low enough to the point where I can do anything without even getting close to TJ max. cooling multiple gpu's wouldnt be half bad though.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 22, 2012 1:22:29 PM

I know 2500Ks run a little cooler but here's mine.

I'm running 4.6ghz @ 1.35v and after 6 hours of Prime95 none of my cores went over 55C (that was the peak and that was because my cooler hadn't kicked in fully yet)

This is with a High end Air Cooler (Phanteks PH-TC14PE) - So yeah, with a roaring H80 I can see thats possible.
m
l
February 25, 2012 10:17:59 PM

i have a similar system and i ran prime 95 for about 4 hours and it didnt go past around 60c, but my h80 has air bubles in it and is loud as *** need to get a new cooler all together cause i have the replacement one in. it is so sad.
m
l
!