mk15

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I have finally chosen the build i think i want, since im trying to keep it around 1000.

i7 920
Antec 902
ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 tb samsung hard drive
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W or RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W (the latter is modular, and cheaper by 15)
ATI 4890

Please, can someone tell how decent this would be at tasks such as gaming(crysis?) as well as video editing/3d modelling and rendering....

Finally the most important question for me, is whether i should wait for the new lynnfield processors? Reading forums I can't understand wheter or not the lynnfield i7 is better or worse, other than that it should be cheaper.
How about the other parts, should i wait until dx11 and windows 7, will i be able to save money on this config or will waiting for dx11 and new processors be significantly better.

Thanks in advance.
(ill be buying in around a month)

Solution
What resolution are you running at? The 4890 should handle high at 1920x1200, and the i7 will handle the video editing and modeling better than anything else out there.

The lynnfield is supposed to be slightly weaker than the i7 but it will be cheaper, with the release literally right around the corner and with your purchase date at the end of the month hold off on the configuration until we see what lynnfield brings in.

Definitely get the antec TP-750 over the RAIDMAX POS, its not even a contest as the raidmax doesnt have an Active PFC. Also get an F3 instead of an F1, it uses 500GB platters.
What resolution are you running at? The 4890 should handle high at 1920x1200, and the i7 will handle the video editing and modeling better than anything else out there.

The lynnfield is supposed to be slightly weaker than the i7 but it will be cheaper, with the release literally right around the corner and with your purchase date at the end of the month hold off on the configuration until we see what lynnfield brings in.

Definitely get the antec TP-750 over the RAIDMAX POS, its not even a contest as the raidmax doesnt have an Active PFC. Also get an F3 instead of an F1, it uses 500GB platters.

Solution

mk15

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
ok thanks a lot.
I have some questions.
wht do you think about the dx11 will prices of existing cards go down when the new ones come out or the dx11 coming out soon too?
also what were u talking about when u said f1 bs f3?

and finally can I do any better than this for the money. I'm alittle over budget with this build 1050$?
thanks alot

DX11 cards likely wont drop the price of ATI cards any more(i dont know if they can go any lower) but they should be significantly more powerful but until the NDA is lifted in a couple of weeks we dont know anything for sure.

F1 and F3 is just samsungs way of differentiating similar drives, the F3 series uses 500GB platters, the F1 uses 333GB platters.

F1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102

F3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Depending on where you are buying from you may be able to get some combos to knock the price down a bit.