Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Applying Thermal Paste to AMD CPU

Last response: in CPUs
November 24, 2009 4:14:57 AM

So the big day is almost upon me! All the parts are coming in tomorrow and I will finally build my first computer. My biggest concern is the application of the thermal paste. I've already ordered a 92mm Zalman fan which comes with a syringe of Arctic Silver 5 paste. I've heard rumors that there is a special way to apply the paste to an AMD processor. What is everyones opinion and personal experience with pasting up a Phenom II processor!

Best solution

a c 126 à CPUs
November 24, 2009 7:07:56 AM

Well there used to be. Back in the Athlon XP days before AMD put a IHS on top of their CPUs.

Back in the day AMDs CPU die would make direct contact with the HSF while Intels had a plate (IHS) to seperate the die with the HSF (heatsink) and also evenly dissipate the heat.

my suggestion is to put a small amount and spread it with either a credit card or your finger in a glove (rubber).

My Zalman came with a thing of thermal paste but it was in a bottle and had a neat brush applicator.
November 24, 2009 10:51:20 AM

new cpus have usually got some thermal paste on them already... r u gonna be overclocking??
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2009 2:07:43 PM

Alright, thanks jimmy.

and yes, I am going to be overclocking, and hopefully unlocking the 4th core on my 720 BE.
m
l
November 24, 2009 3:51:07 PM

Well, I'm not worried about break in times, and the fan I bought came with a free tube of it. I was always under the impression that AS5 was the best, I had heard about it when I first started getting interested in computers, back in like 2003.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2009 7:27:55 PM

Quote:
WAS the best.....

That is strictly your opinion.
m
l
November 24, 2009 10:07:22 PM

by the way aplying thermal paste on an AMD cpu voids your warranty... unless its a specific type (probably the one they come with)... but do as every one does and use it any way, if you have any problems just clean it up =)
m
l
November 25, 2009 5:48:29 PM

Well newegg apparently forgot about their own deal, buy a 92mm Zalman fan and get a free tube of AS5, but the fan came with a tiny amount of Zalman paste. So that's what I used. Oh and the install went off without a hitch!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2009 5:59:31 PM

Quote:
Thats not true. What moron told you that?

You can use any thermal paste you want. Besides OEM cpu's don't come with a fan and they dont come with thermal paste either, so you would have to apply thermal paste.

Wrong again.

http://www.xtremetek.com/info/index.php?id=14
m
l
!