Solved

Weird PCIE Power Problem

Hey guys im stuck with a pretty interesting and frustrating problem..

Heres the story,
Last night when i went to bed i turned off my computer as always, and then earlier today i tried switching it back on, and nothing happened. the computer seamed to switch on for a microsecond then switch off again,

after a few hours of playing around trying to work out why this is happening and possibly toasing my 9800GTX card, i found out that my computer boots up only when the PCIE Power cables are not connected to the card, when they are connected the computer turns on and off within a fraction of a second (Sorta like what happens when a shortcurcuit happens).. So im stumped to know why this is happening, i also dont get any output from the graphics card to the monitor so i cannot see anything on the screen, And im very sure my motherboard (Gigabyte MA790X UD4)does not have any kind of onboard graphics either,so i cannot understand why the POST passes?..

Could it be coz my graphics card is toast?.
I have tried it out with another graphics card (7900GT) and the same thing happens, no go with the PCIE Power connected.

I have used this computer flawlessly for a good 10 months and had no troubles so im sure its not a compatability issue (nVIDIA Graphics in a ATi Board)

So any help in helping me sort out my problem would be greatly welcome..

Thanks a load dudes, i hope yas understand what i mean hehe
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about weird pcie power problem
  1. any ideas dudes?
  2. nup they dont work either. it does the exact same thing by shutting off really quickly
  3. Best answer
    Try a working power supply out of another system...sounds to me like your power supply just can't handle the extra draw from the video system either due to age or a problem in the power supply.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Power Graphics