HD Video Editing NIGHTMARE

russbriscoe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
What a NIGHTMARE this has been. I got an HD video camera a couple weeks ago. I opened the box, shot my sons football game, and edited it down. That seemed to work fine. However, I was disappointed with the quality so I did some digging and realized I didn't record it in HD.

The next game recorded in HD. When I began to edit the film (Data?) my system kept crashing BSOD or an error that said "Powerdirector 8 has stopped working." After struggling through that by saving every couple min and rebooting I then could not "Produce" (a Cyberlink powerdirector term) my HD video. The CPU was working at 100% and it eventually stopped working. with the same errors.

My current PC Specs are:
Intel DG965wh Motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6600
6G of ram
Nvidia Quado 570 GPU

I have the Quadro because I use solidworks for work.

I went to Frys they told me to switch video cards to a GTX 260 that was a little better for the video, but it sucked for solidworks. So I took it back and talked to the manager of the department. He said maybe I should upgrade my CPU. He gave me to one of his crony's to help me and I was told a 755 chip is a 755 chip. So I bought a core 2 quad, but when I installed that, it did not work. The machine would turn on fans would run and then just stop. There was absolutely no boot process ran that were visible.

:pfff: :pfff: :pfff: UGH!!!!!

I don't know what to do. I need my PC for Solidworks, but I also want to do video editing.

Any thoughts? Should I remove my MB and CPU and upgrade to the new i7 platform? I don't want to spend the bucks in this wonderful economy, but whatever

Your problems are most likely RAM related. RAM problems are the main cause of BSOD's. Running more than two sticks of RAM is hard on the motherboard. You will need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS. Are you using a 64-bit OS? You need a 64-bit OS to use 4GB+ of RAM.

This could also be the CPU overheating. What are your idle/load CPU temps?

russbriscoe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Ok, i did some digging. Turnd out my motherboard is a 965 chip set and all the new CPU are 945. I probably should have known that, but FOR SURE the guy at Fry's should have known that. UGH!!!!!!!!!

Here is what i am going to do:

Get a new MB ASUS p6t SE it doest support SLI but the card I will get eventually doesnt either

Get an i7 920

get 6G - 2000 of mem 9-9-9-24

in the furture I will get a new GPU

PNY Quadro 1800 with the Elemential Accelerator

I think this should put me into the next 3 years.

russbriscoe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Ahh Great INFO!!!

Do you guys think I will b able to process HD video with the new machine? Can I get away with my video card or should I get the new one too?

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The i7 should eat HD video for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack. I'd be more concerned that the editing program you use can handle the HD video.