BIOS recognizes DVD drive, won't recognize HDs

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • BIOS
  • DVD Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 26, 2011 9:51:12 PM

Recently put together a new system, BIOS recognizes my DVD drive fine but won't recognize my older 750gb hd or my new 64 gb ssd. Tried different SATA cables and ports, no difference. I can hear the 750gb one start up so I know it's getting power. Mboard is ASUS P8Z68-V, SSD is Crucial M4, PSU is 600w.

More about : bios recognizes dvd drive recognize hds

a b G Storage
June 26, 2011 10:48:20 PM

I assume the DVD drive is an IDE drive. If this is the case then you probably need to install the SATA drivers by hitting F6 on the windows install disk when it first starts. Alternatively ensure that the SATA controller in the BIOS is set to IDE mode.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:23:19 AM

pjmelect said:
I assume the DVD drive is an IDE drive. If this is the case then you probably need to install the SATA drivers by hitting F6 on the windows install disk when it first starts. Alternatively ensure that the SATA controller in the BIOS is set to IDE mode.

Yes the DVD is IDE, but I'm using a SATA adapter so it is plugged into a SATA port. Do I still need to install SATA drivers? Tried changing the SATA controller to IDE but no help.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 27, 2011 2:52:51 AM

Can you see the Drives in the BIOS? If not try without the SATA to IDE converter fitted (and DVD drive).
m
l
June 27, 2011 3:32:10 AM

pjmelect said:
Can you see the Drives in the BIOS? If not try without the SATA to IDE converter fitted (and DVD drive).

No. Doesn't matter if I have one drive hooked up or all 3. I've tried every SATA port and tried different cables. The DVD drive is the only one BIOS will ever recognize.
m
l
!