• 0 %
  • Crucial
  • 17 %
  • Muskin
  • 34 %
  • Geil
  • 0 %
February 21, 2010 2:55:48 PM

So, designing my new gaming rig, and I am a little blown away by the RAM choices today - last power system I built for myself was over 6 years ago (and the poor gal died this year, RIP Ericka) so yeah, I'm behind the times.

I'm going to be running an ASUS Crosshair III Forumula 790FX MoBo paired with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition processor running Win 7 Ultimate on an OCZ Agility 60 gig SSD as my primary "functional" drive.

Speed is the name of the game for me atm - I want this system to last me a while, and plan to (and have the money atm) go all out - last time a $2,000 system went 6 years. I figure the same price will get me at least 3-4 years of good solid gaming, probably more.

So, my question is, what brand of ram would you go with? I've always used OCZ and never had a problem with them... they are by far my current favorite. Are they still a top brand?

ATM, I'm looking at these two, but I'm open to suggestions:

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
a c 163 } Memory
February 21, 2010 10:41:55 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Forget the Reaper, the voltage is very high for DDR3.

Take a look of this options

See here

I always prefer Crucial.
a b } Memory
February 21, 2010 10:47:16 PM

You forgot my brand ....."cheapest"

I drill down thru the categories till I am looking only at DDR3-1600.....I select CAS6 and then decide whether that fits the owner's budget.....if too much, I look at CAS7 and so on picking the lowest price stuff that day from a manufacturer I am comfy with.

For your poll. I can only indicate what I would by "today" and price was not an object and that's the Mushkin 998692's w/ 6-7-6-18 timings and Ascent Coolers.
Related resources
February 22, 2010 12:06:32 AM

Aighty, some dumb questions I'm sure:

CAS latency - what is it? Far as I know, lower = better, not much else

x-x-x-x numbers - what are these? Again, far as I know, lower = better...

Voltage - lower is better for many reasons?

Yeah, dumb questions, but I've never found good, solid answers to them.
February 22, 2010 3:37:14 AM

See, I've always been leery of Wikipedia, since it's all public and such... I take it that article is proofed and correct then?
a c 163 } Memory
February 22, 2010 2:05:47 PM

^Yeah, the article says everything that you need know about CL.
!