Need advice on new motherboard

n2it

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hello I’m new to this site and would like to complement everyone here on a comfortable atmosphere. And it seems like you‘re a very helpful site as well. OK having said that I need some advice.
OK I’m a gamer I play FPS’s like Call of Duty 4, (not modern warfare 2) Far Cry 2, Half life 2 and others. I’m a Disabled Veteran and don’t get out much so my world is pretty much is my computer.
I bought an Allienware system and I’m really not happy with the way they treated me.
I am running an AMD Athlon ™ 64 X2 Dual Core 5800+ ~3.0GHz. And I got the Corsair H50 Liquid cool heat sink for the processor. 4 Gigs of ram. On an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe Motherboard With ATI Crossfire running 2 4800 Radeon HD GPU’s. I have three Hard drives, 2 300 Gigs and 1 1.5 Terabit. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card. (so I don’t need anything on board) And I’m on Windows Vista 32 (they screwed me good there) Home premium.
I recently had bought the Phenom II X4 Processor 3.0 GHz 8.0 Cache AM2+ Socket And on trying to install it I found that my 750 watt power supply was lacking. So I intend on getting a 1000 watt the first of the month. And I thought since I have to go that far why not get a better motherboard. So this is my question what is a good gaming motherboard for me.
I intend on up grading my video cards to the 5870’s as soon as I can afford it. As well as getting Windows 7 64

Solution
From my research for my own system (Phenom II X4 945) the next best socket for it is, of course, the AM3. AM3 is what you would need for DDR3 support anyway so shoot for that. In that case, make sure you are also getting the AM3 version of the Phenom CPU you want because the AM2+ version of it will only support DDR2 meanwhile DDR2 will not even fit on an AM3 board - so make sure the board, cpu and memory are all Revision 3 (AM3 and DDR3).

Also I am very suprised your 750Watt PSU could not handle your system. Then again, the big issue with that is the fact you have two video cards. I'm planning an my system (Phenom II X4 945) with a 750Watt Corsair PSU (I already have it), but only 1 video card... hopefully I'll be okay.
I would sell your ram on craigslist and switch to ddr3; skip the power supply upgrade for awhile until you save more. Use just one video card if necessary if it runs stable with your current power supply. Checkout the msi NF750 G55 nforce 750a for $99.99 at newegg. For ram, get some crucial or corsair 1333 or 1600 2x2gb of ddr3. I've also used samsung, pqi, and pny ram without any problems.

n2it

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

Just to update this thread I have recently learned that Allienware's treachery went far deeper than I knew. The Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe motherboard doesn't have a AMD2+ It is simply a AMD2 which of course doesn't run the Phenom X4. So now I really have no choice but to get another motherboard. But in a way this is a good thing because I have more options available to now. Is there a socket that is better than the AMD2+ and will be more adaptable in the future for gamers.

Epox

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
From my research for my own system (Phenom II X4 945) the next best socket for it is, of course, the AM3. AM3 is what you would need for DDR3 support anyway so shoot for that. In that case, make sure you are also getting the AM3 version of the Phenom CPU you want because the AM2+ version of it will only support DDR2 meanwhile DDR2 will not even fit on an AM3 board - so make sure the board, cpu and memory are all Revision 3 (AM3 and DDR3).

Also I am very suprised your 750Watt PSU could not handle your system. Then again, the big issue with that is the fact you have two video cards. I'm planning an my system (Phenom II X4 945) with a 750Watt Corsair PSU (I already have it), but only 1 video card... hopefully I'll be okay.

Solution